For those that have flipped their quads....

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2003 | 09:14 PM
|
Weekend Warrior
Default For those that have flipped their quads....

any modifications you can do to minimize that happening again? Or advice? I flipped mine over backwards today going up a steep hill and really do not care to do that again!! Thanks! This is a Kodiak.

Old 04-27-2003 | 12:21 PM
Pro Rider

Yes, been there,done that. I believe most quads are very stable but there is only so much they can do to a bike to keep it upright. I guess most of it gets back to you , being more cautious of your driving habits. Its good to upset one every now and then to keep us alert, best thing is not to get hurt. If you didn't flip it backwards it woud be side ways or a endo. Man the bruises and bumps we get from so much fun.

Old 05-01-2003 | 02:25 PM
Pro Rider

Assuming you were riding properly, and in the proper stance for climbing steep hills. There isn't too much you can do.

It is hard to modify a 4x4 quad. The Kodiak is a quick and nimble quad. Two of the things which make it quick and nimble is its narrow stance and short wheelbase. Although you really can't extend the wheelbase without alot of custom fabrication and money. You can put wheel spacers which will give it a wider stance and prevent it from tipping to the side. Another thing to look at is if you are carrying rack bags or totes. You can rearrange them so more weight is on the front. If you don't have bags/totes then take some small one peice dumbell weights (5 pound) and hose clamp them to the front on the frame. Other than that just realize the limits of your quad and your riding abilities and ride safe. If you want to climb up that same hill without flipping then look at another quad with a longer wheelbase and width. It may not seem like much but and inch is a big deal.

Old 05-02-2003 | 01:45 PM
Pro Rider

Been There,

The first time was with my wife on the back. We tipped back into the ditch we were coming out of. I had done that the week before with myself, but with two it gets different. About three weeks after that i tipped ot over front ways, end over a$$. By myself coming down a little hill. Let off the gas in low, the braking system on the transmision din't let it go down the hill as fast as it wanted, and there i was on the ground going what the ---- was that all about. Since than I have loosened up the suspension all the way to the lightest setting. What a difference. Starting to trust her a liitle more now on the kreepy crawly parts. Also have used my winch or buddy to hold the front end down before. That works.

Old 05-02-2003 | 02:35 PM
Pro Rider

the faster the better, if climbing a steep hill & i can not go fast, i arrange myself so that i can bail quick! there are no easy answers on this subject. my opinion is to get off the quad fast when it starts to tip.

Old 05-02-2003 | 02:45 PM
Trailblazer

I've come close to going backwards while coming out of canals i just try to put my weight forward. I don't really sit either i put my right knee on the seat with my foot on the rack so i'm higher and can lean forward if i have to. Down......i just go for it.

Old 05-02-2003 | 02:58 PM
Trailblazer

haha i remember my first crash and burn. i was going over a raised drive way with my dad's '82 honda 185 3-wheeler. as you know there is NO suspension on those suckers. as i thought i cleared the rear wheels on the driveway i floored her, but i hadnt cleared yet. i went *** over end a few times. didn't get hurt, but quickly got up, picked my pride up and tore down the pipe-line as a couple of walkers had a good chuckle on my behalf. have a good day!

Old 05-02-2003 | 07:57 PM
Pro Rider

man im totaly opsit to you guys. when i go up hills i try to whelie . Ive never crashed. GOD I LOVE MY P650 .

Old 05-03-2003 | 04:39 AM
Pro Rider

When climbing steep hills you should stand up on the pegs so you can shift your weight around faster if you need to, but for the most part, you want to lean forward over the gas tank.. If it is a hill that has a turn or an off-camber section that you have to negotiate, you should lean to the upside of the hill.

As far as hillclimbing mods goes, on a sport quad you could always put an extended swingarm on it, but you also lose some of your handling ability when you do that if you also ride it in tight trails.