Toddlers riding with parents?

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2003, 01:23 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Toddlers riding with parents?

Does anybody take their toddlers riding with them at the dunes? I'm not talking about riding like your trying to climb the biggest hill out there, but just a leisurely ride putting around.

If you do, what do you use to hold your child to you. Can't really ride and hold on to them, so I need something that will strap them securely to me so they don't fall off. Any body got some advice, or am I an idiot to take my kid for a ride. He's two years old, but about the size of an average three year old.

PS, I do have a helmet for him!

Thanks!!

Old 05-09-2003, 12:46 PM
Pro Rider
Loves riding and can't get enough.
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A couple of our friends take their little ones with them. They have a harness of some type (kind of like a back-pack for kids and they put it on backwards) and strap their kids to them in front of them. So far everything has been OK. When his little one falls asleep he puts a bungee cord around himself (around his neck) and hooks it to his little ones helmet to keep his head from bobbing, works pretty good.

Be careful.

Old 05-09-2003, 12:56 PM
Range Rover

That's about the age I start giving my kids rides. Typically I take leisurely rides on trails for not too long periods of time. They simply sit in front of me on the seat and hold on to the gas tank. The thing you have to watch is when you hit bumps, dips or have to brake hard their head tends to bob forwards because their reflexes are slow and they're not expecting it to happen. As a result, if you're not careful they could easily bang their face into the tank or handlebars. The bottom line is that you have to take it easy with them.

JC

Old 05-09-2003, 01:18 PM
Range Rover

That is exactly the reason I got a mini-buggy. I installed a five point harness and we were good to go! I imagine the trails of PA are rouhgher than the dunes, though.

You could get a large belt or tiedown type material and make your own harness. Make it go around you and your kid and buckle in the back.

I have seen belts with handles for streetbikers, but they really aren't what you are looking for.
Buddy Belt Website

Old 05-10-2003, 07:56 AM
Pro Rider

i use a tie down . the child sits in front of me and i put a strap around both of us and use my back racks for tiedown points on either side of me. this way he is strapped to me and not the quad. i usually have to hold on to the child when going over hairy bumps, but otherwise works great for me. my buddy also does this and his son is 3 years old.

Old 05-12-2003, 02:08 PM
Pro Rider

i use to put my daughter in front of me and her legs up on the fenders. try it out around camp first then slowly going to trails. let the child get use to it. start hitting small bumps in camp like firewood and see how he reacts.

Eddee

Old 05-12-2003, 03:17 PM
Range Rover

start hitting small bumps in camp like firewood and see how he reacts[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img]

He will probably be very A-scared of the fire...and he could get burned![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 05-13-2003, 03:25 AM
Pro Rider

On the quad, I put my 3 year old in front of me and he holds onto the center of the handlebars. I just make sure to take it easy.

On the Bultaco, I strap him to my back with a tie-down. He's cool as long as I don't hit too rough of a trail for too long.

He has his own helmet, goggles, and gloves. I'm going to start him on a 50 next year.

Have fun and be safe.

START 'EM YOUNG!

Old 05-13-2003, 09:11 PM
Pro Rider

i haven't tried this yet, but i have thought about using a kiddie leash. strap the child into the harness & secure the leash around your upper torso. this would prevent the childs head/face from hitting the bars.

Old 05-19-2003, 11:50 AM
Pro Rider

You guys ought to check out the catalogs. There is a hook up system that you can purchase that ties your kid to you. This system is a lot more comfortable than tie downs and bungee cords.

Quick Reply: Toddlers riding with parents?