Performance Mods and Project Quads Share and ask for information about modifying your ATV or building project quads.

wraping the header with header wrap

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2000 | 03:48 PM
|
Pro Rider

i need some opinions on wraping the header with wrap, from jegs or summit racing. i know the cooler a motor the better performanc. does any buddy have a race car and have this on there headers. on a car i think its suppose to drop the temp under the hood like 70 degrees. will the material hold up from the water and mud. i was riding the other day up and down hills and playing around in 1 and 2 gear and i could really feel the heat on my legs, and i could tell i was'nt getting all my power. the guy that built my motor said it would be a good ideal.
i would like to here some opinions. and how much cooler do you think it would run or if it would hurt any thing.

Old 05-18-2000 | 04:57 PM
Pro Rider

It certaintly won't hurt anything. It'll help. Retaining heat within the pipe keeps it where it can do some good. Higher temps mean higher velocity. Which equates to better performance. As a secondary benefit the radiant heat is reduced on you the rider, and the engine as well. It's a all around good deal. On four strokes you can wrap the entire length of the header. On two strokes I have experimented with wrapping different sections of the pipe to fool into thinking it was something different, by retaining heat in certain portions of the pipe, thereby influencing the pressure waves, which in turn influence performance.

As always, I HAVE to throw in...check you jetting. ANY changes whatsoever should always be checked.

Old 05-18-2000 | 08:16 PM
|
Pro Rider

how does the wrap hold up and where did you get it
jegs/summit ??

Old 05-18-2000 | 08:27 PM
Pro Rider

It's pretty durable, some are constructed from a fiberglass-type cloth. Jegs, Summit....most speed shops should have it. Wrap it tightly and keep on eye on it.

Old 05-18-2000 | 08:56 PM
|
Pro Rider

thanks for the info BACKCOUNTRY!!!

99 426EX,11:1,WEB CAM,PORT JOB,REV BOX,K/N,
DYNO JET KIT,6 AIR BOX VENTS,IDS-2 SUPER TRAPP,
14 TOOTH SPROCKET,AC FRONT BUMPER, FULL CHASIE
SKID PLATE,SHOCK COVERS,STERING STABILIZER,
FRONT FENDERS CUT = LOTS OF POWER

[RED]RIDE SMART, RIDE RED[/RED]

Old 05-19-2000 | 11:26 AM
Pro Rider

Can you get the headers and pipes coated?

We used to do this on the racecars. When I dropped off my frame to be powder coated, I noticed that some people where dropping off their headers (for cars) to be coated.

Has anyone had pipes and such ceramic coated on their quad?

On my Banshee, the Paul Turner Mid range pipes are tucked pretty much out of the way, but I noticed that the 250r pipe is right on the side. If I get it coated, would it keep the heat down, as to not melt my pants? How would this affect performance on a two stroke?

Old 05-19-2000 | 11:30 AM
Pro Rider

Powder coating isn't that expensive and lasts much longer than paint ever would. Regarding ceramic coating, that's usually done on chrome parts that deal with extreme heat (like headers on a street rod). BTW, ceramic coating IS NOT CHEAP.

Old 05-19-2000 | 11:35 AM
Pro Rider

I use header wrap on my muscle car. It works great! I strongly suggest using gloves when putting it on, it does contain fiberglass. You can buy it generally in 50' rolls (two rolls needed for doing full length automobile headers). One should be more than enough for a quad. It holds up quite well in tough conditions (water, mud, etc.) Hell, it's just about as strong as one of those cheaper tow straps! You just wrap it around the pipe and if necessary use hose clamps to keep it on.

If you're having trouble ordering it, this should help.

Jegs High Performance 800-345-4545

Part # 893-11002...Thermo-Tec Wrap...35.99

It makes a HUGE difference in my engine compartment temp!

Old 05-19-2000 | 02:26 PM
Pro Rider

If my pipe was chromed on the 250r, then I would just leave it alone, but it is not. I am totally rebuilding this thing, and I would hate to have the pipe look like crap compared to the rest of the quad. So just wrapping the pipe up, won’t cut it.

I don’t mind spending the money to do it right the first time. That became true, when I ran out of money getting the 250r rebuilt before the race next weekend. So, if the ceramic coating will look better, help the motor stay cooler and possibly provide HP, then I will do it.

But if I gain nothing, then I will just skip it.

Does anyone have ceramic coatings on their header and pipes?

And again, will this coating affect performance and motor reliability on a 2 stroke, if so, how?

Old 05-19-2000 | 02:45 PM
Range Rover

It would definately drop the temperature of the pipe, which in turn would cool everything down a bit. The question is, how long will it last before looking so ratty that you have to roll it back off?

Quick Reply: wraping the header with header wrap