Performance Mods and Project Quads Share and ask for information about modifying your ATV or building project quads.

Fuel question

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2000, 07:27 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Topic title edited by atvbbs
Please do not address topics to specific persons; use the e-mail option for such messages.

I have a discussion to start here about which type of fuel to run in a two stoke engine, pump gas or race fuel. How is this deteremined exactly, I have my own theory, based on cars, but have heard plenty of conflicting stories (Who would of thought that?) as to the correct way to determine this. Is it by the UCCR or the PSI in the cylinder? I want to get the right answers to this question and not answers by someone who thinks they know the answer, right answers as I mean people like Brandon or Ohtonracing, not to offend anyone, but I want to see if my theory is correct. Thanks

Old 05-20-2000, 01:23 AM
Pro Rider

Try reading this:

http://www.interlog.com/~jlogan/squish.html

After reading thru that you'll understand what the MSV is. The MSV is a chief factor in determining the octane requirement. Higher MSV's create too much turbulence causing the fuel to self-ignite. Squish clearance, squish width, & maximum target RPM are used in part to figure MSV. The UCCR can be used as well to an extent. I'll email you a link about UCCR if you're interested as I don't want to publish that here without the permission of the site owner

Another interesting article by a well known Gran Prix engine builder, Dale Alexander, details how modern head design has gotten to where it is today. It's lengthy but good to learn about.

http://www.gs.cornell.edu/mikeh/rdheat/RD-heat1.htm There's several parts so be sure to click onto the next chapter.

Of course the absolutely best source for two-stroke engine theory would be Gordon Jennings Two Stroke Tuners Handbook. Mr. Jennings book is THE book when it comes to engine tuning. If you want it raw unedited, unbiased, pure factual....go buy his book. Be prepared to pay a tad more than most, like $100, it's wordy and technical but worth every cent.

My reccomendation: get your hands on Jennings book and learn it in it's pure scientific form and avoid what you're trying to--the "I had a buddy who". Who know maybe even the local library can get it for you. Amazon.com does have it and can get it, but again it's around $100.

Good luck, and go read that book.

Old 05-20-2000, 12:13 PM
Range Rover

Hey Backcountry, thanks for the reply and the links to those sites. That is exactly the kind of information I like to read, racing tells you alot of things about how you are doing, whether it is a step in the right direction is a different story. I would appreciate the link to the site about UCCR, and i think I will part with $100 bucks for the Gordon Jnnings book, I have heard many people talk about this book before. Well, I gotta go check my squish band, I have a Banshee to dispose of tomorrow! Later.