Performance Mods and Project Quads Share and ask for information about modifying your ATV or building project quads.

thumb throttle?...or twist throttle?

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2003, 01:43 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default thumb throttle?...or twist throttle?

i have a 250r that i just got and wanted to know if i should switch to twist throttle?....i am kind of a new rider and i havent ridden a twist yet. some people think that twist is more dangerous, but thumb like kills yur thumb after a while! so it is kind of a hard choice. i would appreciate it if u guys would reply me about wut u would preffer.....thumb or twist?
glamis250r

Old 09-30-2003, 12:26 PM
Range Rover

stay with the the thumb throttle, dont worry about your thumb wearing out, after you get used to it, you build up a little muscle in it and never even feel it anymore. I personally dont care for the twist throttles, they are rather dangerous on whoops and jumps(in my eyes when i tried it), and i would prefer the thumb over it anyday.

Old 09-30-2003, 12:48 PM
Pro Rider

friends don't let friends use twist throttles. MXer's like em, but they are dangerous. Your thumb will get used to it. I can ride for hours no problem.

Old 09-30-2003, 05:00 PM
Pro Rider

if your a relativly a new rider i would stick to the thumb because the twist is dangerous just like everyone else said if i was you i would keep it thumb until your an experienced rider then switch to twist and if u like that then keep it if not then u can just switch it back

Old 09-30-2003, 09:14 PM
Pro Rider

twist throttles are for girls... [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/img] id keep it thumb.

Old 09-30-2003, 09:33 PM
Pro Rider

ill never go back to twist, unless i get a streetbike. unless...... can i have a thumb throttle installed on a motorcycle? lol, j/k.

Old 10-01-2003, 12:39 AM
Pro Rider

stick with the thumb. everybody complains about it, but if u have to get a throttle extension and ride for longer periods of time. u will build up the strength in no time.

Old 10-01-2003, 12:54 PM
Trailblazer

Thumb without a doubt! If your thumb gets tired on a little 250R throttle, then you need to seek a physician and make sure you are in fact male [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] I just bought an 89 Quadracer that has a twist throttle on it and I HATE it! I've gone over backwards two times because of that thing! I could never get the hang of the twist...

Old 10-01-2003, 03:19 PM
Range Rover

Yes, twist throttles are more dangerous if you are not used to them. They are more dangerous because if you get thrown off balance, your tendancy is to grab the the handlebar grip as tight as possible. That's fine if you are off balance towards the front of the machine (ie. almost over the handlebars), but if you get off balance to the back of the machine (ie. not prepared for acceleration) then you will grab the throttle and hold it at WOT. Not a good situation when you are already off balance. However, if you are experienced on your machine, then the twist throttle offers a couple advantages. My personal fav is that it is easier to hold at WOT. The second is that it can be difficult to apply throttle when counter steering into a right hand turn. You have to reach around and grab the thumb throttle with your forefinger (which also can be dangerous until you are used to it).

Old 10-01-2003, 07:19 PM
Pro Rider

thumb throttles are wack. get a twist if you think you can handle it. dont limit yourself, you will get bored quick. yo drag raptor, you running the 727 with a thumb??? my rides have the twist, just my style..

Quick Reply: thumb throttle?...or twist throttle?