Performance Mods and Project Quads Share and ask for information about modifying your ATV or building project quads.

thumb throttle?...or twist throttle?

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2003, 11:25 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default thumb throttle?...or twist throttle?

Once you learn to handle a twist throttle, you will never go back. I learned to ride on a Banshee with a thumb throttle, but when I bought my bike it came with a twist. It sucked ***** at first, I lost so much confidence in my riding abilities and I couldn't jump for crap anymore. But little by little I learned and would never go back to a thumb throttle. My hand never gets tired and I actually feel like I have more contol.

Old 10-18-2003, 11:52 PM
Pro Rider

I've been riding dirt bikes my whole life and just put a twist on my Raptor this afternoon. Played around with thumb throttle extensions, a Terry throttle, and a jetski finger throttle but none of them were foolproof. On a short blast with the twist throttle, it felt like I had way more control over the throttle than any other method I've tried so far. The jetski throttle would be the shiznit for a drag bike but it wasn't going to work for MX, either on or off.

Old 10-19-2003, 02:19 AM
Weekend Warrior

Hi all, I just joined even though I don't own a quad. I own a 4 stroke dirtbike and was looking for the thumb throttle as an option for mine and ran acroos your forum. I read all your responses and I can relate to the post from Wildman about hitting the whoops because it happened to me today as well. and now I have a sweet burn on my leg.

Anyway, I was talking to a couple guys on another forum and they said that yes your thumb would get tired, but a thumb throttle might actually be safer. When a thumb throttle is used and you're going over jumps is it still easy to use it or does it jolt you around pretty good and you miss it with your thumb? Please help me out cause I'm looking to change to a thumb throttle if possible. I'm also asking because I see that some of you did try the twist throttles as well. Thanks!!!!!!!

Old 10-19-2003, 11:06 AM
Trailblazer

Here's a link to an auction for a "like new" twist throttle, if anyone is interested. Please check it out. The thing was like $80 new.

eBay auction for a Twist throttle

Old 10-19-2003, 12:59 PM
Range Rover

Yes, your thumb will get tired at first, but if you ride enough it will go away. It will be possible, and more likely it will happen that you miss the thumb lever or your thumb slips off while hitting whoops. Of course it won't happen alot, but it probably will happen. The soreness in your thumb is directly related to how much force it takes to open the throttle. If your cable is properly lubed, it will be easier to open. I think the major contributor to how much force it take to open is the type of carb you have. On my old 1995ZR580 sled, it had a round slide carb that took alot of thumb effort to open. My new sled (2001ZR800) has a flat slide carb and is WWAAAYY easier to open and my thumb has never gotten tired (even on those 200 mile rides).

I am thinking of putting a twist throttle on my sled. Has anyone done this or heard of anyone who has? It seems like all the racers still use the thumb throttle, but I am unsure why. With sleds its like the throttle is either WOT or off, so it would seem that the twist would be pefect (or a jet ski throttle, like UBETRUN said).

Old 10-19-2003, 10:02 PM
Weekend Warrior

Crazy!!! Just got back from a ride with my new twist and I loved it so much. I had missed it for a long time. My hand was not sore, my boy is going to change his banshee now he thinks its great.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 10-25-2003, 12:31 AM
Pro Rider

Twist is the only way for me.