Performance Mods and Project Quads Share and ask for information about modifying your ATV or building project quads.

Honda Cr500 motor versus suzuki quadzilla 500?

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2003, 06:46 PM
Range Rover
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Honda Cr500 motor versus suzuki quadzilla 500?

I have a 1985 suzuki lt250 frame with a 1985 Honda Cr500 dirt bike motor installed. I was just wondering if anyone new what kind of power it produces compared to a quadzilla 500. I just got this machine last fall so havent had a lot of time on it yet. I have raced a couple banshees, a yfz450 that was piped and jetted and raptors with pipes and jetting. I have beaten them all fairly easily so far. My motor has been ported and milled and has a custom drag pipe from cpi. Hopefully this spring ill get to do some more racing but just wondering how it would compare to a quadzilla
later

Old 12-13-2003, 07:39 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My bet would be that the CR motor puts out more in stock form. I don't recall if that year has powervalves. Either way, it wouldn't be worth trying to replace it with an LT 500 unless your CR fails unrepairably. I do think that the LT is a better motor to modify . Mostly because of the counterbalancer. Plus, they have one of the best trannys that I've ever seen.

One thing to keep in mind for mods is; the aftermarket will probably get more power from the CR because the ports are closer to "right" than the LT. When they "port" them, they never remove the right material to make the LT work. I think you'll be safe against most Quadzillas out there.

Old 12-13-2003, 08:07 PM
Range Rover
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

im not looking at replacing the motor. I just havent really seen a quadzilla run before and I was just wondering how the cr500 would compare in a race. At Sand Mountain here at little sahara utah people always line up at the hill and race up it. I have noticed the extra torque of the 500 compared to like a banshee makes it shoot the hill a lot faster then most banshees. I know there are banshees out there that will beat me but I have to race a quadzilla. Im sure I will before the next summer is over though

Old 12-14-2003, 09:01 AM
Range Rover

CR 500 motors are really fast when done up right,although one has never beat my Zilla in a drag.

Old 12-15-2003, 04:22 PM
Range Rover

The CR500's are alot more reliable than the LT500's and believe it or not,the vibration isn't any worse than the bikes.Send it to Eric-Gorr for the porting.He knows how to extract the best performance from the CR.

Old 12-15-2003, 11:52 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

actually the vibration is what makes this engine combo somewhat shyed upon. It produces great power, both stock and modified (considerably more then an LT) and can be made into a serious drag machine. You can make a CR engine combo up to 600cc's. Put it on alcohol and you'll have an extremely fast ride. Problem again is the vibration on the 500 is extremely bad. It'll vibrate your hands numb after a single pass. And yes i know, ive both ridden one and the family owned one (wasnt a 600 on alk though, rather a 500 in a tt bike). The other down fall to the 500 is it is hard to kick it.

Old 12-16-2003, 09:06 PM
Pro Rider

NO, you are wrong beech.I just rode my 95 cr500 quad. The vibes were only bad when the bike was idling when your moving its not bad at all. I went on a ride for 2 and half hours and it I was fine (my hands). nothing on the bike cracked , but I did have a coulpe probs,nothing big. the bike is ported by trinity stage 2 and a milled head bored carb and v forve reeds. the biggest f-ing problem was starting the beast, put holes in a lot of boots and shoes, and some times I just push start it. the bike is fast, faster than the lt 500s and it keeps up with my brothers 94 c500 2-wheeler on the hill.

Old 12-16-2003, 09:50 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

actually im not wrong slick. Tell yourself whatever you have to my cr500 250r was mounted in polyurethane, the stem was an antivibe LS steering stem filled with lead shot as well as the handlebars. Only reason the bike was sold was because after a race you couldnt feel your body. Like i said, tell yourself whatever you have to to make you feel better. Everybody who has OWNED one of these bikes knows the truth.

I personally like the touch where you rode it for 2 and a half hours...thats classic

Old 12-17-2003, 10:59 AM
Range Rover

Beechman,I have to agree with bansheesmoker,I have a 94'CR500 and the bike doesn't vibrate bad at all.All of the vibration is in the"bars"You are correct as it does do a number on your hands,but after you ride for a half hour,you don't even notice it.

C'mon dude,don't be such a wuss,I ride my CR500 on the trails for 4-5 hours at a time.I can still see straight when I get off,just because you can't handle it doesn't mean someone else can't.I think your exaggerating a little bit on the harshness.

I started out on aircooled bigbores,so I guess I don't really notice the vibration anymore.Not to mention I also have a Harley.
I think you need to sprout some nuts.

Old 12-17-2003, 01:13 PM
Royalty Rider

Originally posted by: Sheesnojoke
Beechman...
I think you need to sprout some nuts.
Cough cough...oh believe me...he's got 'em [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Quick Reply: Honda Cr500 motor versus suzuki quadzilla 500?