Performance Mods and Project Quads Share and ask for information about modifying your ATV or building project quads.

frozen banshee flywheel

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2000 | 10:55 AM
|
Pro Rider

how can i get my flywheel off, i have already broke 4pullers...i was told to heat it around the shaft but not the shaft itself but then i was also told that heatin it will screw up the magnetism or the electrical behind it...i have tried tappin on the puller also like some ppl suggested...i really need to get this thing off. any suggestions would be greatly appreciated

Old 07-10-2000 | 03:09 PM
Trailblazer

I just had this same problem. They make a special tool called a rotor puller. It threads into the center of the wheel and forces it off. I just took my banshee into a local shop and they pulled my fly wheel for 5 bucks. It came right off with that tool. I guess the pullers are cheap to buy.?? GOOD LUCK!!

Old 07-10-2000 | 04:17 PM
|
Pro Rider

it seems that u r talkin about a regular flywheel puller, am i correct? or is his like something with a few pongs that go around the puller and screw in the middle also?

Old 07-11-2000 | 03:15 PM
Trailblazer

There are no prongs. It just threads into the center of the fly wheel, then there is a center "bolt" that you turn in through the center of the puller to force the fly wheel off. Maybe this is what you have? I thought were using a gear puller that hooks on the back edges of the flywheel. I could not get mine to move with a gear puller and the (rotor puller) pulled it off easily. HOPE THIS MAKES A LITTLE SENSE. GOOD LUCK!!

Old 07-12-2000 | 12:50 AM
Range Rover

K & N makes a puller for the banshee (and others) that goes for $12. Those of you using various gear pullers are nuts. All you will do is bend you flywheel. Get the puller. To make it an absolutely painless event give it a zap with an impact gun and it will pop off. I know, "don't use an impact gun, it will hurt the crank. BULL, just do it, you crank will be fine, especially a welded crank.

Old 07-12-2000 | 11:02 AM
|
Pro Rider

ok veeshman i dont want this to get ugly and i dont mean to offend u or anybody but i have been trying to tell u i have been using your mett\hod with good pullers for over 5 times and have wrong the nut off of the bolt evry time!!!! i have come to a great and wise conclusion, i am removing the crank from the cases with the flywheel on it and bring it to a machine shop to have them press it off. hope that works

Old 07-13-2000 | 12:49 AM
Range Rover

In order to split the case you need to get the flywheel off first, no way around it. The stator is bolted on with three bolts two on the upper half and one on the bottom. Unfortunatly you can't get at em' with the flywheel on. Have you used an impact wrench with the proper tool? If so, then you got me stumped. Dumb thought, but you did take the nut off didn't you. DON'T get pissed, I had to ask. If it is that frozen I would like to know why. But the impact wrench should work.

Old 07-13-2000 | 11:39 AM
|
Pro Rider

way ahead'a ya ma friend! i also realized the 3 bolts on the stator and timing plate, so i unscrewed them about half or what i could, hacksawed the head of all 3 bolts, then took a mini-vice grip to unscrew them the rest of the way, now i have to just pull the bolts from the case and pull the top case off... and YES i did take the nut off the shaft in front the flywheel...yes i did use an impact on the puller(5times) like you, i myself would love to know what made this thing stuck on there so good...