Performance Mods and Project Quads Share and ask for information about modifying your ATV or building project quads.

Extended Swingarm

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2004 | 04:07 PM
|
Weekend Warrior
Default Extended Swingarm

When a swingarm is cut and an extension is added, how unreliable does it become? I know it greatly depends on the weld and welder but does anyone have it done?

Old 03-10-2004 | 04:16 PM
Pro Rider

Mine is, its great so far.

Old 03-10-2004 | 06:16 PM
|
Weekend Warrior

how did you have it welded?

Old 03-11-2004 | 02:11 AM
Pro Rider

I bought it that way so I don't know the specifics. But it looks like they just chopped it right in front of the rear axle housing and added a chunk of tubing and some reinforcing. I've heard its stronger if you cut it diagonally so that it adds more weld area, but I guess it depends on the swingarm. I think if you know a good shop, and don't jump too hard you will be fine. But any increase in swingarm length will add more stress to it.

Old 03-11-2004 | 06:17 PM
Pro Rider

if you get it extended make sure they heat treat the aluminum, that will make it alot stronger, and cut diagnoialy.

Old 03-11-2004 | 10:46 PM
Pro Rider

When I bought mine it was extended 4 inches. I put a new swingarm on and I weighed the stock cut one. It weighed an average of 20.5lbs. That was the swingarm only. Personally I think it is a cheap way to do something. You still have to buy a new chain, and should by sprockets. You need a new breakline. You will need to pay somebody to cut and weld in an insert. Still have to revalve or buy a new shock. So when you add it all up, you are saving only a few hundred dollars. Plus you still have a good shape UNCUT swingarm to sell.

If I were you, I would just buck up and pay out the little extra cash.

Old 03-12-2004 | 08:04 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: PumpkinSmasher
When a swingarm is cut and an extension is added, how unreliable does it become? I know it greatly depends on the weld and welder but does anyone have it done?

Ya. did mine on my blaster myself. I ride the living **** out of it. jump it, race it, everything. never had any problems.

Old 03-14-2004 | 01:16 AM
|
Weekend Warrior

Originally posted by: sandblaster360

Ya. did mine on my blaster myself. I ride the living **** out of it. jump it, race it, everything. never had any problems.[/quote]

how long of an extension did you have and how did you weld it?

Old 03-16-2004 | 02:30 AM
Pro Rider

We've done a +10 on a Blaster and a +4 on my Warrior, no problems, +8 is next for the Donkey, +4 is nowhere near enough for my set-up.

Old 03-16-2004 | 02:32 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: PumpkinSmasher
Originally posted by: sandblaster360

Ya. did mine on my blaster myself. I ride the living **** out of it. jump it, race it, everything. never had any problems.
how long of an extension did you have and how did you weld it?[/quote]

4 inch.

Quick Reply: Extended Swingarm