Performance Mods and Project Quads Share and ask for information about modifying your ATV or building project quads.

Frame paints/coatings

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2000, 12:36 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

While everyone is giving their 2cents worth, I was wondering if anyone tried that rubber truckbed liner stuff. Yeah the colors are limited but according to old man Ford everything goes with black. If you need to touch it up you can get the stuff in a spray can. I figure 3 or 4 cans would do everything you want to do on a quad. I'm not suggesting you put it on a show bike but for those utility applications it could have its place. Does anyone have it on their truck? How does it hold up? Is it easy to clean?

Old 08-01-2000, 04:09 PM
Pro Rider

It might add too much weight though..it is very durable though.

Old 08-01-2000, 07:37 PM
Pro Rider

c'mon Loofer, I don't think even a couple extra pounds would make that much of a difference. Surely rubberizing your frame weighs less than a 6pack of suds. Those that are that concerned about a pound or 2 would never consider it anyway. I'm talking about the guy that runs it thru corn stalks and hunting and mudding and the part time guy that likes to have a machine that doesn't look like it just got whipped with a wire brush. I think in those situations it would be pretty good, although I've never used the stuff. It was only 3-4 bucks a can at Autozone. It might be worth a shot for someone that doesn't want to spend 175 for a paint job that'll only last 1 season.

Old 08-02-2000, 07:16 AM
Range Rover

Sayit_fmf:
I am interested in the ppg system that you use....
Are you using there DP(epoxy) as an undercoat? What basecoat are you using? (DBU/DBC/Global/Delstar/Delta/LIC) How has the clear held up for you? What clear are you useing also(there are way to many to list)? You said it will cost 30.00 to paint a frame in basecoat clearcoat? I cant see how when DU5 hardner is 35.00 for a pint and DT870 reducer is 30.00 a gallon. Thats no paint or clear or even a primer yet!

I agree that sand blasting is best and anything is better than a rattle can paint job, but there is no way someone can paint there frame for 30.00.
I dont want to come across like I am attacking you, nor to be argumentative. I know how much this stuff costs me, let alone some joe schmoe off the street wanting to paint his frame.

walter
88 Banshee370
95 Dodge Ram 4x4
99 Quadbuddy

Old 08-02-2000, 10:57 AM
Pro Rider

There's always one

This Joe shmoe drives down to a local store called Genesee paint in NY....I will look when I get home to see what the actual make and model of the paint is..... How much paint, when mixed and thinned properly, do you think it takes to paint a frame? maybe a pint...probably less.

I already had the hardener...so yes it cost me around $30 to paint it. I get the same deal as an actual auto body would get.... I'm sure a bit cheaper if I bought in volume.

If your buying a gallon at a time...I can see big costs.... But I am not B'Sing you...I don't know you and have no reason to lie....It really does not matter anyway I guess....I paint for myself and am happy about how it comes out. And that's all that matters... ....they will throw it into a can for you if you like....as long as you use it within a pre described amount of time. My buddy just did His Frame....If they put it in cans it costs you 11.99 for the cans...which takes 3 to do it right. And one can of clear.

The question was asked...and I answered with the knowledge I knew... I'll tell you what...If your paying more...give me a ring...and I'll sell you the paint

Old 08-02-2000, 01:38 PM
Range Rover

I got my frame and swingarm powdercoated locally for $50. I blasted it and took it up on a Monday and picked it up on Wednesday. Sure beats the hell out of screwing around with all the preping, priming, painting, cure times ect. If you can, powder coat. They do make touch up paint for the powder coat, but it is not actual powdercoat of course. Also, Eastman makes an actual powdercoating kit, great for doing brackets, cylinders, almost anything that you can fit in an electric oven. (don't use the one in the house though). Costs $200 for the kit. Or they sell an IR drying system for $625. Expensive yes, but if you want to do alot of frames and stuff, you could charge for it and make some money.

Old 08-04-2000, 11:28 AM
Pro Rider

I also had my frame powder coated. I have a dark blue base with blue glitter clear coat as well. It looks like a million bucks in the sun.

I paid $250 for the frame, swingarm and a-arms to be done by a local company here in CT.

I don’t know whether to be happy that someone has the colors as me, or p.oed because I am not the only one now.

Old 08-04-2000, 11:37 AM
Range Rover

Lasher, don't worry about mine being the same, this winter it will be changed. My best friends bro owns a Shop that builds SLeds and Powder coats(Wong's Snowmobile, anyone into Sleds would know) but he said he might be able to make me a new style so I said go for it, I wanting Bright Blue, with yellow viens goin through, or specs. But I not sure, but u gotta admit with the coloring we have, it rules!!!!

Old 08-04-2000, 12:22 PM
Pro Rider

I would suggest the yellow veins with the bright blue. That would look sharp on your LT.

When I got mine done, the guy was telling me about customer that got a silver base with gold veins running through it. He said it looked sharp!

What might look nice is the bright blue base with a glitter yellow veins. This way the veins would shine in the sun on one angle and when viewed in another angle, they would have a nice yellow color.