Performance Mods and Project Quads Share and ask for information about modifying your ATV or building project quads.

1975 kawi 75 mini dirt bike,need some help, only runs at full throtle

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2004, 10:53 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1975 kawi 75 mini dirt bike,need some help, only runs at full throtle

Hi, I will give you a quick history, the bike ran great, the kid played with teh oil injection and then it would not run, it then sat outside for about 2 to 3 years. Today he brought over and we drained the gas tank, oil injection tank (both filled with water the tank was not rusty inside) blew out all the lines. We took the carb apart, it was filed with crud and cleaned it up teh best we could and got everything freed up. we then put it back together and put a 40:1 mix (amsoil) in the tank (we did not use the oil injection yet) and draged it with the quad after a while it ran but only at full throttle. we put some amsoil injection oil in the injection tank but have not tried to start it since putting it in. it may run rich now but I want to make sure that the oil is going to go thought the pump ( we did not tank the pump apart). If anyone could help that would be great, when should the oil pump though? how do I know if the pump works? how to I make it run and idle? I don't know what to touch on the carb? there is a went hose that comes out of teh crank and that spit a little motor oil out of it. pleas egive me some things to do and how to do them. Thanks a lot

Old 06-30-2004, 09:52 AM
Range Rover

i have a good idea try taking this to thumper talk.com and ask on their forums not rying to be rude or anything but they willl give you an answer al ot faster than over here

Old 06-30-2004, 02:44 PM
Elite Pro Rider

The only way itll rev is if its getting some air. So look for things that will hold the carb slide open. Rusty sticking cable, cable adjustment, slide in backward, corrosion holding the slide open, and so on.

Old 07-01-2004, 07:17 AM
Pro Rider

I was wondering if anyone knew the gap for the plug? Also what oil do i put in the crank case? reg motor oil? bike oil? weight? How do i go about adjusting the carb? It is not stuck wide open, it's just that I have to hole it wide open to keep it running. is there anything I can do about a leaking seam on the tank? Thanks
P.S please keep the ideas coming I would love to get it running.

Old 07-01-2004, 01:04 PM
Elite Pro Rider

If it wont idle, then either the pilot jet is plugged, or the idle is set too low. The pilot jet is the one with the smallest hole, and it provides gas to the carb at idle. And because it has the smallest hole, its the first to get plugged by crud in the carb. All the jets need to be removed, and blown clean with carb cleaner and compressed air. Sometimes its necessary to get a new pilot jet, because its plugged so solidly.
Heres a web site with info on cleaning the carb.
carb cleaning
Theres a product called kreme, that most dealers have in stock, and it has a acid,to clean the tank out good, and then a epoxy to seal the entire inside of the tank. Ive used it before , and i know it works.
Try to get an owners manual, itll have the info on oil and adjustments.

Old 07-01-2004, 05:19 PM
Pro Rider

this probably wont help but im 250lbs and when i sit on my friends 50 i hit the throtle and id doesnt start moving until i floor it , then it picks up speed slow.. im fat .

Old 07-01-2004, 07:03 PM
Pro Rider

Are there points on this bike? I cleaned all of the electical parts I found. If there are how do i clean them? adjust them? Thanks for all the help so far.

Old 07-02-2004, 03:13 AM
Elite Pro Rider

Kawasaki only lists a 70 cc and a 80cc bike for 1975. Im assuming its the 80 cc bike.
the points are #14 in this diagram. Im thinking if itll run, especially at wide open, then the points are probably ok.
Its gonna be a bad spark plug or a carb problem. Theres probably an obstuction in the pilot circuit, can you see thru the small hole in the center of the pilot jet? Its very tiny, and needs to be clear thru. You may need to run a wire thru it to get it unblocked. If its clear...then the internal pasage ways of the carb need to be soaked and blown out with air.
On that kawi site, they have owners manuals, too. it will help answer the oil and other questions on the bike.
Keep trying....youll get it going.

Old 07-02-2004, 08:08 AM
Pro Rider

The carb seems pretty clear, there is 1 or 2 spots in the bowl (not sure if they connect) that I can't seem to get any carb cleaner to go though them? I can't seem to get it to run by kicking it over even if I spray starting fluid in the carb, if I spray enough it seems to leak out around th eplug or the heli coil.

Old 07-04-2004, 12:00 AM
Pro Rider

i am also working a a kawasaki 75 mini bike and it runs like crap. for the first minute runs great than its like the slide is stuck open so it just takes off but i have felt in side the carb and the slide is all the way down