Performance Mods and Project Quads Share and ask for information about modifying your ATV or building project quads.

Sand Padles for Coal Hill Climbs?

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2000, 02:43 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hi i want to try using sand padles haulers for these coal hill climbs i go to once in awhile that are hard to get up. think i should buy padles and rims and put them on when i go to do the hills?

would they work good? would they wear out fast? what about hardpack can i ride on it if i take it easy? what is the ride like on hardpack?

thanks

Old 08-21-2000, 03:45 PM
Pro Rider

I talked with Skat Trak prior to my purchase of a set of 22x11x10 10paddle Edge's for my DS. I asked them if I could use them in the snow. They said "Absolutely not! You'll tear the paddles right off the tire" They also mentioned to only drive at idle speed while on any type of hard servie. So from that, I would say anything other than sand, forget it. Unless you want to place a bet with a $200 set of tires.

Old 08-21-2000, 06:48 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Shale, or "coal" piles are unique in my experience. They're certainly not sand, but . . . they're definitely not snow! I found them to be deceptive; if they were dirt or rock, you'd say, "I can surely make that one," and you could (if they were dirt or rock). However, since they are coal piles, as you approach the summit, you begin to lose momentum, and your tires begin digging into the shale, and before you know it, you're bogged to the axles on a hundred-yard slope; you can go neither forward, nor backwards, in spite of the steep angle . . .

Paddles may just work in this situation, if you think of shale piles as sand piles with fairly large grains of sand--don't know, maybe some enterprising tire manufacturer will someday make a tire especially for this type of riding.

Tree Farmer

Old 08-21-2000, 10:29 PM
Trailblazer

go to skat traks web site the y have a paddle called the hawk and it has a row of knobbies down the center for temporary riding on hard pack

go to http://www.skat-trak.com

Old 08-21-2000, 11:10 PM
Pro Rider

hey just looked at the skat-trak website. good thing you told me to. 1st i looked at the atv sand tires and out of them i would go with the taller haulers for 500cc to 1000cc motors.

then i looked at sand drag padles, made for mud sand or trator pulls and am thinking about the digger's, hookers, or bigger digger's.

you may say that they will be too much for my motor, but if you know what the coal hills were like, you dont get any hookup what so ever so your engine is always peeked out unless in the wrong gear and bogg. so say i get them in 18" or 20" they should work great. and the sand drag paddles seem like they are made for beating on so they would work at the coal hills.

what do you think??

Old 08-22-2000, 12:02 AM
Weekend Warrior

I have a freind that bought a used set of paddle tires and used them for snow tires on an old 200x that he had. He went everywhere snowmobiles would go with that thing. I really don't remember how good it pulled the tires but it did move pretty good.

Old 08-22-2000, 12:20 AM
Pro Rider

thats sweet! i was also wondering how they worked in snow. now i am siked on getting some paddles. i think ill go with the sand drag tires since they are made for various conditions, and use them in the snow and on the hills. i cant wait!

Old 08-22-2000, 03:11 PM
Trailblazer

You might want to check out the Sand Skate II's by Sand Tires unlimited. They are a V Type padle that is one piece. No vulcanized on paddles. Riding up in the Cinders in flagstaff if you run any type of vulcanized type paddle it will just rip them off. This is probably similar to the coal hills. If you go with taller haulers or something similar you will lose a lot of HP trying to turn the big paddles. I've ridden banshees with both the taller haulers and regular haulers and you can go faster with the regular type because the taller haulers rob so much power.

Jeff

Old 08-22-2000, 04:39 PM
Pro Rider

I think the danger in using paddles in the snow is not the snow .... but when you break through the snow and hit the hard pack underneth. that is when you are at risk to loose paddles off of the tires..... because the tires or going from a low traction condition to a high traction condition.

Old 08-24-2000, 09:51 AM
Trailblazer

I have a set of GBC Sand Sharks for sale. They are 20x10x10. These tires were used twice in the sand and are 1 piece V paddles. E-mail me!

Quick Reply: Sand Padles for Coal Hill Climbs?