Performance Mods and Project Quads Share and ask for information about modifying your ATV or building project quads.

twist throttle...

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2004, 07:31 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default twist throttle...

Sorry Mr.Safety, next time i go racing i will be sure to stay way more than 5 feet away from the other riders and next time i go riding with my buddys ill have to stay atleast 10 feet away just incase that throttle might stick.

Seriously, do you keep at far distances from your riding companions when you go riding? Chances are no.

Stop ragging on what happened to be an accident.

Old 11-23-2004, 10:49 PM
Pro Rider

ok, first off racing is different. both riders accept the risks, and it's usually on a closed course. and staying 15-20 feet from your riding buddy's is probably a good idea. I'm not tryin to be "Mr. Saftey" but i am talking from experience. I've had people following me who didn't slow down enough when i went into a corner, he hit my back tire and spun me sideways, causing him to go over the bars and land on my bike, and i got launched off the side of my bike and bent my handlebars cuz my bike rolled. the guy i was riding with is a better rider than i am, and u know why the accident happened? cuz **** happens.

o, and i always stay at least 15-20 feet from my riding buddys. when i'm not racing i see no reason to be putting pressure on my friends like that. not to mention yfz450s and DS650s kick up a lot of crap which only causes damage to my front end when i'm that close.

Old 11-23-2004, 10:54 PM
Pro Rider

[quote]
Originally posted by: Shav0
[i]

You can't blame that on the throttle. The twist throttles come fully enclosed so that this very thing wouldn't happen. If he had a hole in the guard, or no bar ends to keep dirt from getting in between the bars and throttle then he was just asking for trouble.
I would take exception to claim that twist throttles come fully enclosed. Dirt, mud, sand can get in between part that twists and part that is stationary. Without removal and cleaning this can build up and cause throttle sticking. A good thumb throttle is truly enclosed and protected from dirt entering. The other common problem with twist throttles is that often during a lay down the twist throttle will slide up the bar and jam twist throttle onto handlebar.
I installed twist on Banshee because I wanted throttle to be same as my dirt bikes. When I got 400EX and realized how nice a good thumb throttle like Hondas works, I lost all interest in switching the 400EX to twist. I go back and forth between thumb and twist with no problem.
I would recommend getting a Motion Pro 1/4 turn CR type throttle. Do not get the large wheel Gunner Gasser type twist that Motion Pro also sells. If you do much mud riding I would stay with twumb.

Old 11-23-2004, 11:44 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: CroBiker
ok, first off racing is different. both riders accept the risks, and it's usually on a closed course.
When you ride you dont accept the risk of riding? odd... and being on a closed course only matters because there are usually paramedics to take care of you.

Yes, **** happens, **** happens to get into twist throttles and cause damage when not properly maintained.

Old 11-24-2004, 12:55 AM
Pro Rider

i meant that when your racing you know that people are going to get very close to you, and even come in contact with u. when your trail riding you don't always expect to have somebody right on ur a$$. on a closed course you also dont' have to worry about somebody cutting in from another trail, or somebody cutting across your trail while making their own.

Old 11-24-2004, 08:04 AM
Pro Rider

Ross, I am sorry to have too tell you this, but have you ragged on your buddy who hit you for not taking care of his ride, as much as you been spouting off in here. We all expect things to happen anywhere, but a good point is to be prepared as much as possible to deal with these situations
whenever they should arise.
Once again we are all sorry for your buddies blunder.

Old 11-24-2004, 06:46 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: jpsdiving
Ross, I am sorry to have too tell you this, but have you ragged on your buddy who hit you for not taking care of his ride, as much as you been spouting off in here. We all expect things to happen anywhere, but a good point is to be prepared as much as possible to deal with these situations
whenever they should arise.
Once again we are all sorry for your buddies blunder.
Actually it wasn't his ride it was someone elses he was looking to buy.
The twist throttle is what caused the accident to happen, thats all i was trying to point out and it turnes out CroBiker happens to go the extra step to defend a throttle.

Old 11-24-2004, 06:53 PM
Pro Rider

Thats ok, well I am not supposed to voice my opinion on here anymore, so my lips are sealed. All I can say is safe riding to all, and get it in the mud, after all this sport is supposed to be about fun even though unfortunate things happen some times. Once again I am sorry your friend had a wreck.

Old 11-25-2004, 12:15 AM
Pro Rider

i wasn't defending a throttle...i was just saying that if there was a lil more distance between ur friend and u, that he might have had enough time to pull the clutch and hit the brakes. i realize that components fail, and that can cause accidents, but who knows, maybe a lil more distance could have prevented it. the same thing can be said about him maintaning the throttle properly.

Old 11-25-2004, 04:24 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: CroBiker
maybe a lil more distance could have prevented it.
Maybe and could are the key words in that sentence.
I dont even care, but this thread is way offtopic.

Quick Reply: twist throttle...