Performance Mods and Project Quads Share and ask for information about modifying your ATV or building project quads.

twist throttle...

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2004, 09:57 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default twist throttle...

hey, i'm in the process of building a desert racer out of my 450r. im a little tentative to spend $70 on a twist throttle since i've never used one on a quad before, and i've had both good and bad experiences with them on dirtbikes. how do they work when your hanging off the side of the quad during a real hard turn? do you have to re-adjust your hand before you can go into the turn? also, when i rode one of my buddy's bikes the throttle would rev up whenever i went from standing to sitting, would a 1/2 turn throttle avoid this issue? thanx for the help.

Old 11-15-2004, 11:04 PM
Pro Rider

i dont really like them cause when you go over big whoops and jumps my hand tends to open up the throttle. I think with some practice though some people are real good at a twist and prefere it over a thumb throttle.

Old 11-17-2004, 01:06 AM
Pro Rider

LOL, last time my dad used a twist throttle he broke the clutch lever off our banshee! The front end lifted up during the whoops and he popped a wheelie and hit a tree [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-blush.gif[/img]! I don't really care about the throttle what ever works for me but if you were to get one i'd get 1/2 pull , it was more comfortable to me.

Old 11-17-2004, 07:17 PM
Pro Rider

I have just installed a Motion Pro Twist Throttle on my 04 700 Kawi prairie, and I think it's the best thing since the creation of apple pie. Now let me ask you guys and gals a question? How many motor cycles and dirt bikes to you see out there with thumb paddle throttles? Did you all say none, that's right none! I have heard all sorts of comments about what can happen with twist throttles, but do you see motor cycles flying off the road when they take a turn( well maybe some, but not by accident), or dirt bikes in the trees, because they could not turn a corner?
I have never had so much fun with a quad, it reminds me so much of riding a dirt bike or street bike that it brings wicked grins to my face[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] So I say each to his own, I will ride with out getting thumb fatigue and you die hards can ride and come home with stiff thumbs[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/img]
How do you like me so far, ha ha[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 11-17-2004, 09:29 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: jpsdiving
I have just installed a Motion Pro Twist Throttle on my 04 700 Kawi prairie, and I think it's the best thing since the creation of apple pie. Now let me ask you guys and gals a question? How many motor cycles and dirt bikes to you see out there with thumb paddle throttles? Did you all say none, that's right none! I have heard all sorts of comments about what can happen with twist throttles, but do you see motor cycles flying off the road when they take a turn( well maybe some, but not by accident), or dirt bikes in the trees, because they could not turn a corner?
I have never had so much fun with a quad, it reminds me so much of riding a dirt bike or street bike that it brings wicked grins to my face[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] So I say each to his own, I will ride with out getting thumb fatigue and you die hards can ride and come home with stiff thumbs[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/img]
How do you like me so far, ha ha[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

I agree
love my twist throttle

Old 11-17-2004, 11:26 PM
Pro Rider

Mucky, you the man, by the way elka shocks, that's my next mod, keep it in the mud bud[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 11-19-2004, 12:37 AM
Pro Rider

thanx for the help. i've ridden dirtbikes and motorcycles and i can tell u exactly why they don't go flyin off the road when they take a turn. when you turn to the left on a dirtbike, the bike leans to the left with you, so the distance from your chest to the bars remains almost the same. when you turn left and have to lean a lot on a quad, your right arm becomes perfectly straight out, which could cause you to pin the twist throttle. that's my main worry.

Old 11-19-2004, 01:03 AM
Range Rover

twist it all the way.!! thumb's down to thumber!

Old 11-19-2004, 10:09 AM
Pro Rider

Cro Biker, it just comes down to personal riding style here, but I agree hanging off the bars can more easily be done with a twist grip( for me anyway, but I am just 1 person) but with the thumb throttle I find myself having to stay more with the machine because you have to apply pressure to the thumb throttle to engage the gas. Therefore, I think I personally can corner much easier with the setup I have now over the old setup. Like I said before, it is just my personal opinion, and riding style coming from running bikes, snowmobiles, and other things with motors hanging off them[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]
Have a great day, and I hope you can find some mud to bog around in[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img]

Maybe we need to start a thread about riding styles, include all the makes of quads and bikes and their riders, might be a fun forum, eh[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 11-19-2004, 09:08 PM
Pro Rider

When I first installed mine I hated it for the first two weeks. But now I would never go back.

Quick Reply: twist throttle...