Performance Mods and Project Quads Share and ask for information about modifying your ATV or building project quads.

Drag Pipes - Do I need to Re-Jet Carbs?

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2000, 12:15 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Backcountry:

You gave excellent advice and I will follow it!

I am running at sea level and will install the 175's to start with. I will also keep my Needle in the Middle position.

Does that sound about right?

If you get a chance, please see my new Thread about Racing Gas. I would appreciate your opinions on this topic!

Thanks again!

Old 09-27-2000, 04:44 PM
Trailblazer

I run 172 mains in my purple and yellow banshee in mexico. Although I have t5's and not drag pipes, I do have the 17cc domes and an MSD ignition which allow me to run several jet sizes higher than what a banshee with the 18's and a stock ignition would.

Although we have different set-ups, the 172's should be a good starting point for your bike. Keep in mind that it is better to be on the slightly rich side, especially in mexico.

In response to your fuel question, the VP c12 is the hot ticket, even though it comes at a high price.

FYI, I'm planning on selling the bike if you're interested.

-Mike
phx,az

Old 09-28-2000, 11:32 AM
Pro Rider

I have never heard of a MSD ignition. What is it? How much does it cost and exactly what benefits does it provide?

Old 09-28-2000, 01:42 PM
Pro Rider

http://www.msdignition.com Then click on the watercraft link and follow thru that.

I have one on my TRX and made a ton of difference. It has a tunable timing curve, which allows you to run alot of intial static timin, which helps low to mid range, but tune the upper portion of the curve for more retard, which will help create better top end power. Truly a case of the best of the both worlds.

It costs around $400 if I remember right. The Banshee one is digital, whereas the TRX is analog. You gain more power from a MUCH hotter spark(complete combustion) and a tunable timing curve. I've had my ignition fire fouled plugs(plugs that wouldn't run in other bikes) or plugs fouled from coolant. The drawback, however, is that it runs off a battery that will last around 10 hours of ride time before needing to be recharged. You can buy a quick charger that charges the battery in about an hour from your car lighter socket.

Old 09-28-2000, 04:00 PM
Trailblazer

For extra battery power, I went to a R/C Car shop and bought several extra batteries which hooked straight up to the MSD system. I use the provided MSD battery as a back-up only in case of emergency.
A quality R/C battery will last me a weekend in Mexico on a single charge.
Plus, the install was simple and the overall improvement is well worth the cost of the ignition, an improvement which should not adversely affect reliability.

-Mike
phx, az