Performance Mods and Project Quads Share and ask for information about modifying your ATV or building project quads.

Banshee electrical / lighting problem???

Old 11-06-2000, 12:56 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 98 Banshee with a 130 re-wound Ricky Stator and 7" PIAA lights with 55w Hyper-Blue bulbs.

While riding last week, my lights were working fine when all the sudden, they dimmed momentarily, then returned to normal, then dimmed again (browned out) until they went completely out. They failed to light the rest of the night.

The following day, I pushed and tugged on all of the wires, connections, etc., to see if something was loose. No help.

I took the Stator cover off and observed a small contact of some type on the lower right side of the Stator Housing. This seemed to be some type of magnetic contact that was approx 1/8" away from the Stator Housing. I removed the screw that held this contact in place and wiped it off. I then reinstalled it. No help.

I took the handlebar switch apart and everything looked fine. No help.

I then took the headlights apart and put them back together again. No help.

After walking away from the bike for a short period of time, I returned and tried the lights again. Poof...they worked fine. Later, I went on several rides and had no further problems.

I hadn't been in any water previous to this occurring.

Can anyone even begin to analyze this condition and make suggestions on what could have occurred or failed? I hate to have it happen again when I am miles away from home.

Thanks!

Old 11-09-2000, 01:37 AM
Range Rover

When your dealing with electrical problems it could be many things. I believe the magnetic contact you are talking about is called the pickup assembly. The manual does not say what the proper gap should be from the flywheel. I read somewhere what it should be but I do not remember. I know it should be much closer than 1/8 inch. I keep mine very close without touching the flywheel. You may also have a voltage regulator going bad or a bad ground somewhere. Did Ricky Stator rewind your stator for these specific lights?

Old 11-09-2000, 07:20 AM
Range Rover

freesteven:
that pickup coil that you mentioned is for the ignition. The lighting coils have nothing to do with that part.

Rob4092: I suggest that you call Ricky Stator and ask him...... He is a GREAT guy to deal with and very helpfull. I am sure with some detailed info from you, that he can get you on track. My stator just died too(lighting coils) and the only guy i will call to replace it is ricky stator. Have you put a meter on it yet to see if there is a dead short or if the tolerances are out of spec? With a meter you can also test all of your switches and connections w/o tearing everything apart.
I have a factory repair manual with some specs (stock stator) If you need me to scan any please let me know

walter

Old 11-09-2000, 12:25 PM
Pro Rider

The stator was rewound by Ricky Stator last year. I will call him and see what he thinks it could be.

Thanks!