Performance Mods and Project Quads Share and ask for information about modifying your ATV or building project quads.

Turbo 350 Warrior Project - lots of fun!

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2006 | 03:18 AM
|
Trailblazer
Default Turbo 350 Warrior Project - lots of fun!

I wanted to post pictures but I guess that's turned off here?

Anyway my Warrior just don't have the power to climb the monster hills at the Cinders near Flagstaff, AZ which is over 7,000 ft altitude.

So I finally broke down and bought a Turbo for small engines. Removed the 11:1 piston and put the stocker back in. I fabricated the turbo on and am running the carb temporarily as a pull through. It kinda works but will be fuel injected when I figure all that out.

The little turbo is actually developing between 8 and 10 PSI of boost so I know when I get the fuel correct and a bigger Throttle Body I should have 50% more power easy and retain every bit of it no matter what altitude.

I am not building it to race at the Sand Drags, but to retain power at high altitude and climb some hills!

Oh yeah. It should be the best bang for the buck too. I'll probably have $500 or so in it. Maybe $600 with the fuel injection.

Here's some pictures on my website---> http://www.paysonarizona.net/cgi-bin...num=1154750621

Old 08-22-2006 | 03:31 AM
Trailblazer

a turbo warrior? sounds sweet let me know how it turns out i always wanted to pump up da ol' warrior

Old 08-22-2006 | 11:32 AM
|
Trailblazer

The funny thing is a Turbo only cost $400 brand new. And if you're ok at fabricating some stuff then it doesn't cost too much, actually cheaper than any other REAL mod liek bore and stroking, etc.

I could only imagine really doing the big bore and stroke kit, AND turbo charging.

I know there is a company that makes kits for the 660 Raptor. They say stock is 39HP and after they install a Turbo and fuel injection, it's 85HP!!!! More than DOUBLE the original output!
Those kits are $4500

SO I'm trying to improve my wimpy Warrior but as a DYI ya know? LOL!

I always take good pictures of my mods on my vehicles or ATV so you can always look at what I had to do, etc...

Old 08-23-2006 | 04:50 PM
Pro Rider
My Bomb Busa is done now and WOW what a rush this thing is scary fast. I love it

how are you making sure it does not run in a lean condition with a carb?

Old 08-24-2006 | 01:35 AM
|
Trailblazer

Well, I actually used a A/F gauge temp hooked up to a O2 sensor I wired in before. The O2 sensor was installed last year the FIRST time I was going to start experimenting with EFI.

I may make a temp mount for the A/F gauge so I can watch it when I take the ATV to the cinders on Labor Day weekend.

The carb will hopefully be a limited use thing.

I am working on EFI. Got me some more junk yard parts recently, including a complete Throttle Body that will be easy to mount.

Just got this today...

http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g5...Programmer.jpg

That's a MicroProcessor Programmer.

I am still learning how to use those things. I got the programmer and compliler working tonite.
I had been playing with the Basic Stamp programmers but teh MicroChip one is way better, and WAY cheaper to buy controllers.

Now I need to work on learning the programming which is similar to some stuff I have played with so it will just take time.

My Micro Controller can take 10bit samples (1,024 or so steps) of the TPS, MAP, O2, etc which is MORE than enough to calculate the Pulse width to the injector(s).

It's just learning, programming, tweeking. Once I get the hardware working, it's all about tweeking the program and connecting a lap top.

Then it will have plenty of fuel under boost and never need to change a jet ever again. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 08-28-2006 | 02:35 AM
Pro Rider

What turbo is that? I noticed you have a port in the compressor housing to go to the waste gate accuator.

My GT 12 didnt have that, so I put a nipple in the charge pipe to route the vaccum to the waste gate accuator. My turbo pushed 8psi by itself. I put on the boost controller and set it at 12. I put 2 gallons of F and L 111 leaded fuel and dropped the quad off at the dyno shop. I should get it back by the end of the week.

Old 08-28-2006 | 10:14 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

Please keep us posted. This just might be an alternative to the KMS turbo system. Hmm, let us know how it performs. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 08-29-2006 | 05:08 PM
|
Trailblazer

Originally posted by: Glamis700
What turbo is that? I noticed you have a port in the compressor housing to go to the waste gate accuator.

It's a Borg-Warner "kkk" turbo.

They were originaly on Turbo Deisel Audi cars! Like a 1.6 liter!

I got it form Arizona Tractor and Turbo in Phoenix, AZ

It is obviously not too big. My boost gauge get between 8 and 10PSI

The carb obviously isn't the best way to go right now. But I need to run it this weekend as is and keep plugging along with an EFI setup.

In the last week I've learned a lot more about MicroControllers and have bought a few different ones I'm still working on the programming.

Old 08-29-2006 | 05:13 PM
|
Trailblazer

Originally posted by: Tpsycho
how are you making sure it does not run in a lean condition with a carb?

Funny how at first that seems to be a worry.

I actually have had a O2 sensor in my exhaust for almost a year now. I was starting to play with EFI last year and never stuck with it.

I hooked my Aur/Fuel gauge up and watched it last week and it only hit the first segment into lean. I'm not worried about that yet. I will buy one jet larger probably.

The funny thing is I am doing a PULL THROUGH. So with the carb's CFM most likely starting to be a restriction for the turbo's intake I think it would probably be MORE likely to suck more fuel form the bowl.

AT 8PSI I have to be adding close to 50% more power.
You can't get that for $500 worth of exhaust, filters, and porting!

PLus it will be cool once I'm done to be able to program it with the lap top once it's EFI.

I'll keep posting. Just check the opictures of my hacking on my website forum...

http://www.paysonarizona.net/cgi-bin...54750621/22#22

For some reason we cant' post pictures here???!!!!

Old 05-05-2008 | 11:17 PM
Weekend Warrior

Pictures arnt working, It says there is an error?