Performance Mods and Project Quads Share and ask for information about modifying your ATV or building project quads.

TWIST THROTTLE : how is it?

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-1999, 09:37 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a twist throttle kit that I have yet to put on my '96 Mojave, and I was wondering how the riding is with it.

Do they cause any handling problems? What about "dropping in" and "swooping up" steep drops on a trail? My local trail has like a 8 foot swooping drop that you RIDE down. Is there any problems on turns? For example, is it very hard to keep the throttle twisted as far as you want, not letting it slip or anything? What about jumps and landings? I'm wondering if when you land, it makes you pull back accidentally from pulling on the bars. I hope not. Whoops easy to handle?

Is it hard to install yourself? I've looked over the instructions, but I wondered how hard it is to take the seat & fuel tank out, remove the thumb throttle, then insert the cable so that it is setup the same as the thumb cable was. Any problems there? I may just have the dealrer do it, but I hope that don't cost too much.

Any response is greatly appreciated, thanks.

------------------
- 1996 Kawasaki Mojave, 1998 Kawasaki Mojave, http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/B...8090/home.html

Old 07-31-1999, 11:20 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

RidE, with all due respect, your questions seem a little late, since you already obtained your twist throttle kit.

With your misgivings, I wonder: why did you get the twist throttle; what advantages do you expect from the device; why do you want it?

I believe most, if not all, ATV manufacturers provide throttle levers instead of twist grips because of the difficulty controlling a twist throttle in extreme turning positions approaching handlebar lock. However, if your riding style or preference leads you to a twist throttle, you're fully entitled to your choice.

You should receive some benefit if you're willing to go to the effort and expense of converting from lever to twist grip.

Finally, your own preference and familiarity should dominate, whatever type of throttle you choose. Good luck.

Tree Farmer

Tree Farmer

Old 08-01-1999, 03:03 AM
Pro Rider

Well, the obvious reason for getting a twist throttle is when your thumb feels like it's going to fall off. After this started happening, I was like "I wonder if people use twist throttles with quads". After seeing that just about ALL racers used them, I decided it was OK to use one. I did ask some of these about a month ago, but I don't know if I would get the same results:they were opinions of only 1 rider.

------------------
- 1996 Kawasaki Mojave, 1998 Kawasaki Mojave, http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/B...8090/home.html

Old 08-03-1999, 03:06 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Ok heres my 2 cents worth. I have a Motion-Pro twist throttle on my Quadracer LT 250 R. The reason i bought it was do to the fact my thumb throttle was wasted. It was real easy to install, but then again my QuadRacer is not quite as cluttered as your machine, and operated fairly well at first. Then the plastic holder for the cable end end broke, so that cost $8.00 or so. I then wrecked mainly because of the twist throttle, and my in-experience with it i admit. I caught an edge at the local track and was in the process of high-siding and riding on 2 wheels, normally not a problem with the thumb throttle, but with the twist i could not let off the gas because i was trying to hold on! In fact i continued to accelerate, which caused me to shift my weight back, which meant i needed to hold on some more, thus causing me to accelerate even faster.(3rd gear, Fresh motor, hello powerband!) It was not looking good as a turn approached! I bailed. Cracked my helmet and a few ribs, but all is well! Now i will say again that i had little experience with a twist throttle before. Im sure experienced motor cycle riders may not have the same problem. Anyhow, I have to take it off and clean under the plastic barrel, it gets real dirty and sticky under there. My advice, stay with the thumb unless you just cant stand the pain!

RoostKing...