Performance Mods and Project Quads Share and ask for information about modifying your ATV or building project quads.

Engine Builders

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-1999, 10:05 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great topic, Darby!

I think that the one thing that most people don't realize is how subjective the answer to this question can be.

Why do I say that? Because, I may consider TC Racing to be the "best" engine builder -- but only for super-fast (read, not built for reliability) M/X four-strokes. If I was building a trail machine, he'd rank pretty low on my list. Not becuase he doesn't do a great job (he does) but because his engine doesn't fit my plans.

The absolute most important thing to figure out before you start looking for someone to work on your engine is "WHAT DO I WANT TO ACCOMPLISH?"

Then go out and look for a company that specializes in that type of engine.

It seems like lots of my own personal complaints about parts and service aren't because of bad service, but because the service wasn't performed the way I thought it should be!

Just a thought!

Old 09-01-1999, 12:07 PM

Now Pam. I know this is a subject that you could write up a very long essay on. I really need you to share with me on this one.

In your "opinion" Why is TC Racing a better "speed" motor builder. Who would you say is best for reliability and why. What about the best all around builder (fast and reliable)? Why? Would you recommend the same folks for different bikes (IE TC does as good of a job on a Banshee as a 250R or, they know as much about 2 strokes as 4 strokes)

Picture this. You own 9 bikes. 3 400EX's, 3 250R's and 3 Banshees. You want to have 1 of each of these bikes setup for different styles. 1 Banshee, 1 250R and 1 400EX are to be set up for reliability. 1 Banshee, 1 250R and 1 400EX are to be setup for speed. And lastly 1 400EX, 1 250R and 1 Banshee are to be setup for max speed with the best reliability. Which shops would you use?

I know I'm asking alot here but this is a subject that I feel you have a pretty good background in and therefore you have alot to offer the rest of us.

Oh and as for your recommendations please keep in mind that the customer service is a give in. Who wants to know about companies that can make a "superquad" but treat you like poop. Each shop must keep in mind that I am not a mechanic but they must not treat me like a dolt

------------------
'96 Banshee, '86 250R 4TRX, 2 '83 185S

[This message has been edited by Darby Crash (edited 09-01-1999).]

Old 09-09-1999, 01:12 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We'll Pam brins up an excellent point. If you want reliable leave it stock and slow as christmas. I have a CT 310 kit and it is FUN to ride because it is fast. I have to rebuild the top end every 25 hours of use but I only ride weekends anyway. I think you either want max power with o.k. reliability or no power(stock or slightly better) with great reliability. But there are no magic engine builders. If LRD builds you a "reliablility first" engine I bet it gets Thumped by the engines that race the GNC series. There is nothing worse than spending $$$$$$$ and getting spanked by another guy with the same machine who had his engine done by another engine builder. Think about it, the really fast race cars can't also be the most reliable.

Old 09-09-1999, 08:38 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have my two cents worth on this too. I had one of those "local" shops do some work on my old ATC250R. I asked for major top end porting and told the guy that was going to do the work that I didn't care if it had the powerband of a 125. I wanted major top end. When I started putting the motor together, the guy recommended that I do a compression check before doing total assembly. I did, and at 212 psi, I thought that something was seriously wrong. Even he was surprised. We changed heads and gaskets and got the compression "down " to 200 psi, which everyone in his shop said was a bit high for a top end oriented 250. Unfortunately, he had no other advise to give me. So I put it all together. To this day, I feel like I went to what I thought was a good place to do business, and ended up getting a bunch of mismatched parts. Too much compression, porting that didn't do a whole lot, a carb (that this guy "set up" for me) that was jetted WAY off, and a pipe that was custom built by another local shop that was recommended to me. How did it work? It was pretty fast. About as fast as a piped Banshee, but no more. I figure it went about 40 - 42 hp, but that's it. I was expecting close to 50. Frankly, I was disappointed in the work that was done, and learned why you don't go to a local shop that has no experience or sponsorship of national level riders to get performance work done. I thought I'd save some money, and if I'd left the motor stock, I probably would have. As it is, I think that you DO get what you pay for, and I certainly would rather go to a well known and established shop for that kind of work in the future. This shop (to remain nameless) won't get anymore business from me. They simply didn't know what they were doing in my opinion.