Performance Mods and Project Quads Share and ask for information about modifying your ATV or building project quads.

How Hot????

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-1999, 02:21 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Roughly how hot do exhaust pipes get? I ask because I am getting a set of Paul Turner Midrange pipes for my banshee and I dont plan on getting them chromed. I need some sort of paint of coating. I have seen hi-temp engine enamal that is good upto 500 degrees. It also has ceramic material in the paint. Will this paint be strong enough or will I have to find a higher heat rated paint. Thanks.

------------------
Jayson Blough '99 Banshee, '97 Warrior, '96 Blaster Yes I like Yamaha

Old 08-31-1999, 01:12 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

jblough,
I don't think I've ever seen any paint above the 500 deg. range, but I don't believe I'd use any on the header pipe (s) as I imagine that they exceed that range. As a suggestion, try a little spot on the exhaust section where it's not noticable & see how it lasts and go from there.
the Az Hard Packer,

calmiller@kachina.net

------------------
join the Blue Ribbon Coalition online at www.sharetrails.org

Old 08-31-1999, 09:56 PM
Pro Rider

I'm not absolutely sure about exhaust gas temps on the Banshee, but at the most you'd be looking at an internal temp of 350 - 400*, probably lots less. External temps are at least 50 - 100* less than that.

Even tho Hi-Temp paints will stick and not burn off of pipes, they don't last very long. Since the pipe heats and cools, causing expansion and compression -- it basically "pops" the paint off the pipe after awhile.

If you don't want to deal with keeping chrome looking nice, you can get the pipe nickel plated (cheaper), or a better option is ceramic coating. This can be done in a bunch of different colors -- including black. It does two really cool things. One, it's bullet-proof and never wears off. Two, it actually increases horsepower by moving exhast gases thru the pipe faster. Pretty cool stuff!

------------------

Old 09-01-1999, 12:32 PM
Pro Rider

Pam, have you seen jell coated or jet coated headers,We put them on the motor home to cut down on floor board heat(ford 460).They seem to be bullet proof and there warrented for life.They are cooler.

[This message has been edited by trx430ex (edited 09-01-1999).]

Old 09-01-1999, 04:10 PM
Pro Rider

I had my Warrior stock head pipe and Supertrapp exhaust Jet-Hot coated in brilliant silver. It's gorgeous and is holding up to the temps fine out of the Fire-breathing 400cc Warrior. It was CHEAP too, at only $65 for the coating and they even payed return shipping. I'd send anything back to them again.

Heapster
400cc Warrior - 400ex eater?

Old 09-03-1999, 10:50 AM
Pro Rider

I don't know but I will check mine this coming week with a infared temperature gun, I will post my findings on this thread.

Old 09-03-1999, 06:19 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Using an EGT (exhaust gas temperature guage) the gas just exiting the cylinder on a two stroke is about 1200 degrees F (this is a ballpark number). It can range from 900 - 1400 F depending on jetting, load etc. Aluminum melts at just above 1400 F, so that's really the upper limit before severe meltdown occurs.

The pipes will be a bit cooler than the exhaust right near the exhaust port and the temp will drop as the distance gets greater from the cylinder.

There are several high temp paints out there (VHT is one brand) that are designed for exhaust pipes. Auto parts stores usually carry them as well as some ATV shops. Some claim to be good to about 1200 F.

Pam, nice to see you here again - You must be referring to internal engine parts, like rods and top end bearings etc, right? Those parts and the cylinder (because of being water cooled) are a lot cooler than the pipes.

Jayson - you may want to just leave the pipes unpainted (unless you live in a rust prone area). My T-5's are a nice shade of silver/blue/purple and they don't rust because after a washing, they get a coat of WD-40. They make the quad look pretty cool and are a nice change from all of the chromed pipes I see all the time. Remember - Chrome don't get ya' home, and it don't make the quad any faster either!

Old 09-03-1999, 09:26 PM
Range Rover

What about "powder coating"? Where powdered paint is actually applied with a torch? A bit more expensive, but should last longer. A good custom engine/body shop can help.