Performance Mods and Project Quads Share and ask for information about modifying your ATV or building project quads.

How to make it shine

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-1999, 03:42 PM

Okay lets see who knows how to detail.

I'm trying to get some ideas on how to make the motor shine like my polished wheels. I plan on someday buying the Cascade billet stator and water pump covers for the lower end but what do you guys recommend for the cylenders and case. What about for a brushed aluminum grab bar.

I know, I know, why? Because my Banshee is my baby and I not only want her to haul but to look better than the rest when she's haulin. When a bike looks as good as it performs it's just beautiful.

------------------
'96 Banshee, '86 250R 4TRX, 2 '83 185S

Old 09-02-1999, 12:25 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Darby,

As for the engine I can't help you there, but I can tell you how to polish the grab bar. First get a big tub of elbow grease. Then get some sand paper. Start with about a 300-400 grit and work down to a very fine wet sand paper. Once you are satisfied with the shine get some jewler's polish (or something similar) and buff to a mirror finish. It takes some time and a little hard work but it will SHINE!

------------------
Tim Thibodaux
1986 Fourtax 250R (Bad to the Bone!)
<A HREF="http://members.xoom.com/TheATVPit">The ATV Pit</A>

[This message has been edited by Tim250R (edited 09-01-1999).]

Old 09-02-1999, 08:04 PM
Trailblazer

I bought all the aluminum parts from alloy specialties as well as polishing the case on the clutch side. To polish the case, first I drained the oil, took the whole side case off, removed the seal for the kickstarter, and the impellar for the water pump. Then I sprayed it with aircraft remover to take the black paint off. I sanded the rough areas beginning with 320, continuing with finer grits. Finally I used a drill with a buffing wheel and polishing compound (wax-like cylinders of stuff) from the local hardware store to really make it shine. All the aluminum stuff doesn't make it faster, but it sure looks cool. I will probably wait to do the head and cylinders for a rebuild. They look to be more work, because of all the imperfections from casting.

Old 09-03-1999, 06:56 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

Id just take it apart and have the parts sent to a shop that can dip it in chrome.. Thats how your wheels are done, Why not all of it. Then you just need to keep the chrome clean.
RoostKing...

Old 09-04-1999, 11:37 AM
Pro Rider

listen===if u want to polish everything on the bike then get a buffing wheel for a drill and then u will find out hoiw much of a pain it is to polish instead of getting stuff chromed....polished u have to polish it over and over ...chromed==just wipe it down with a towel and it shines forever!!

but if u insist on polishing...the case is anodized so u either sand the black off with fine sand paper or u use paint remover(dunno if it will take it off) and also u can use oven cleaner...then buy some metal polish(blue magic or mothers aluminum polish) perhaps u can buy some tripoli...then start buffing away until it shines..

Also what mods do u have on u'r banshee and do u have a pic of it?
if so email it to me at glorio@gs.verio.net

Old 09-04-1999, 11:39 AM
Pro Rider

also ROOSTKING!!===the wheels aren't dipped in chrome...unless u talkin about truck rims or car rims but not quad rims

Old 09-18-1999, 05:06 AM
Weekend Warrior

dont get your jug cromed, if you dip it you will also dip the inside of you cylinders.

87,92 Banshee

Old 09-18-1999, 06:08 PM
Weekend Warrior

I wouldn't chrome the case or cylinders, it will really hold in the heat! It would also tend to discolor like a chromed pipe does( which by the way, you want to hold in the heat ). Also, while polishing the cylinder won't make it overheat, it will still run hotter than stock because the black paint helps to dissipate the heat. One other thing, Anodizing is done only to aluminum and provides a thin film of oxide to protect the metal. The cylinder is only painted after a rebuild because it can't be easily anodized again.

[This message has been edited by fastblast (edited 09-18-1999).]

[This message has been edited by fastblast (edited 09-24-1999).]