Performance Mods and Project Quads Share and ask for information about modifying your ATV or building project quads.

does removing exhaust baffle without rejetting add power?

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2007 | 08:56 PM
|
Pro Rider
Default does removing exhaust baffle without rejetting add power?

some of my friends have trail dirtbikes, yamaha tt-r125, zook drz125, honda crf150f.

They all completely removed the baffles on their silencers/exhaust. and now they are extremely loud (especially the 150) It has probably gone from about 85dB +/-2dB to 100+dB

The 150 is just a bit louder than one of my other friends' 2006 crf250r with dual exhaust....

Its really annoying but they say it gives them more torque. I say that is BS and that they are losing power and throttle response because their bikes are already jetted lean in stock form.

They think loud=power....and that the hesitation in power is because it now has the power curve of a 2 stroke with a big hit on top

-------Am I right that removing the exhaust baffle on an already lean jetted bike will cause it to lose power and throttle response?--------

I think this because that makes the fuel extremely lean and their bikes dont even idle right anymore because of lean conditions

I read an article in (either dirtrider or dirtwheels) about us losing trails and riding areas because dumb people remove their baffles because they think it adds power when it is really ruining their throttle response and low-end torque

Old 06-14-2007 | 09:41 PM
Pro Rider

crazy1291 you are correct all they're doing is adding to sound pollution , and losing power by not rejetting their carb'c ; a lot of people think that the louder the exhaust the more the power ! All they're doing is adding more fuel to the fire of the anti's who want more than anything to stop/ban all ATV's and ORV're from having the right to enjoy their sport ! I just wish they could see what they're donig is wrong before the sport we all love is Baned altogether ; hopefully they will come their sense's before it is to late ! Have a good day crazy1291 and hope we get good weather to ride this weekend ! And let's all be carefull and tread lightly and be safe, williebee !

Old 06-14-2007 | 10:27 PM
|
Pro Rider

at least you still have your quad, mine is in the shop waiting for a new cdi, it might come in tomorow or saturday though =D im soo excited

Old 06-14-2007 | 10:40 PM
Pro Rider

If it were me I would send their registration numbers into the Game Warden Service. It is people like them that has ruined it for the rest. And until someone says to them STOP doing what you are doing, they will continue. Then someday neither they nor I will have a place to ride - thanks to irresponsible like them. It would not bother me one bit if they got pissed. I am pissed because of irresponsibles have ruined it thus far and now it is my turn to tell them to smarten up or get off the trails.

Old 06-17-2007 | 01:12 PM
Trailblazer

removing baffle frees up exhaust w/o rejeting my raptor got ALOT faster

yes it will add id say 5hp+ and a decent amount of torque. same as a car bigger exhaust helps and is out there for a reason... if the spark arrestor can come out then it was ment to for a reason. my pim for my bike has a map plane for my EXACT exhaust w/o arrestor but id say im at around 105-110dB maybe more i work at a factory that is a constant 105dB its about the same....

if you refuse to remove, it just take it out and clean it carbon building up on it will choke your motor

Old 06-17-2007 | 06:26 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
GOT BOOST!

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Its really annoying but they say it gives them more torque. I say that is BS and that they are losing power and throttle response because their bikes are already jetted lean in stock form. </end quote></div>
It really depends. You will never really loose torque by uncapping an exhaust. What may and usually does happen is you will move the torque band up so high that it will be outside of the RPM range of the motor. The bigger the pipe the higher the torque band goes. If your engine red lines at 6 grand and you move the torque band up to 10 grand.......what's the point?

If your friends engine was too lean after doing this it's a simple matter or jetting up to get the F/A back in line.

If you picked up more torque with a spark arestor every pro stock bike would have on on it.

Everything needs to be matched for the most power.

The noise issue is another topic.

Old 06-19-2007 | 10:59 PM
|
Pro Rider

BBR (some company that specializes in minis aftermarket parts) claims that drz/klx125s are jetted lean in stock form. By removing their baffles/spark arrestors, they lean out their mixtures even more, right? Well then arent they losing power then? (they are too lazy/scared to open up their carbs, and they are uneducated, they think jetting has to do with rocket/jet engines/boosters) Im not saying that spark arrestors make more power, im just saying that a bike has the most power when its jetting is spot on, and you arent going to make any power by making the mixture overly lean or overly rich. That makes sense right? or do you still gain power, even if you lean out the mixture? (when it is -20 outside and you start your bike, and WITHOUT the choke, the bike will lose rpm's when you push the throttle and come back up again.... thats horrible throttle response)

There was an article in dirtwheels explaining this whole issue about noise and kids removing their baffles and getting kicked of trails etc.... i think it said that the xtra noise gets andreneline flowing which makes the rider stronger and quicker (able to pull wheelies better, making it seem as though the bike has more power, when it is really your own arms)