Performance Mods and Project Quads Share and ask for information about modifying your ATV or building project quads.

Beating a banshee

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-1999, 03:19 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The last I heard Curtis Sparks Racing was offering 440cc kits for the Warrior. I don't know whether this would be your answer, given the difference in power bands between 2 and 4 strokes, but if Curtis Sparks couldn't do it I don't know who could. His engines are in more of the top GNCC quads than any other builder. His work is impeccable.
You could also wait for the result of the Bombardier/Banshee shootout in next months DW magazine & go from there

------------------
THE AZ HARD PACKER, calmiller@kachina.net

save the public land FOR you, not FROM you..join the Blue Ribbon Coalition online @ www.sharetrails.org

Old 11-14-1999, 07:58 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I like the snap and powerbands of 2-strokes as well, would i be able to get this???
Also, i dont know whether to mod my warrior to make it trick, or convert to something better. I love my warrior, the looks of it and everything, but i need more power!!!
This 440 kit your talking about, would this let me outrun a banshee, and how much money are we talking about too???

[This message has been edited by _waRRioR_ (edited 11-14-1999).]

Old 11-14-1999, 12:16 PM
Pro Rider

With a 440 kit you are going to get a lot more torque and horsepower but the powerband will still be like a 4-stroke. You won't get a the feel of a 2-stroke, but a 440 would be darn fast. ATV Sport did a 440EX and they said it was a rocket. However, you've got to look at cost. The 440 kit will easily run you over $1000, and with Sparks, he might even charge more, I don't know. Stock suspension probably won't be able to handle the extra power and speed, so there is another $1000+. After you have priced out a 440 Warrior with some new suspension, sit down and compare it to a Banshee. You might be better off getting a nice used Banshee. Then you will get the 2-stroke powerband that you like.

[This message has been edited by Mike Frey (edited 11-14-1999).]

Old 11-14-1999, 02:31 PM
Weekend Warrior

Im sick of my warrior getting smoked by banshees, and hearing "why didnt you get a banshee?". So i wanna mod my '99 warrior to at least keep up with a banshee. Id even consider an engine swap at the moment! Where would i start modding though??? I was thinking of trying to get EFI but i dont know how much it would cost me or how much power it would give me. Anything to help me would be great.

Old 11-14-1999, 04:20 PM
bob
Trailblazer

warroir - i was wondering why it is that u want to be so much like the banshee, yet look to do anything but get one to go as fast? also, what kind of riding do u do? not to necisarily say u should just get a banshee.
warroirs and banshees were both made by yamaha, they designed the warroir as a sport, and the banshee as high performance. mike frey mentiond suspension, even after the motor, theres still a huge difference between a banshee and a warroir.
for that reason, and u like 2 strokes, and u seem to dislike banshees...about the only answer i see isa 250R for ya. or if u insit, throw tons of money at a warroir that will be heavier and less reliable than a stock banshee anyways.

Old 11-15-1999, 12:27 AM
Trailblazer

LRD makes a very fast big bore kit keeps up with STOCK banshees I repeat Stock banshees

Old 11-15-1999, 10:22 PM
Pro Rider

Can a Warrior keep up with a Banshee? The answer is definitely no -- and yes. It depends on a bunch of factors.

1. In an all out drag race, there is NO WAY you can build a Warrior to keep up with a Banshee. Why not? Even if you built the biggest, baddest Warrior within reason (say, 430cc bore & stroke with all the head work), you would still be about 3 hp below the numbers a stock Banshee puts out. Let alone the ability of the Banshee to really launch out of the hole :-(

--- Okay, okay, now I know there are people out there who have Warriors who have beat Banshees in drag races! But if you have the same rider on each bike, and do timed runs, it just ain't gonna happen!

2. Now that we have that out of the way, what kind of riding are you doing? If it's tight trails, you have a chance. Build the engine to about 400cc with a bore & stroke combo. Install a good midrange cam, and do some porting on the head. Now replace the front shocks with some good aftermarket ones, and get the rear shock re-valved or replaced.

Will this be faster in the woods? If both riders are equal, you'll slam any Banshee out there!

Pam

Old 11-16-1999, 10:01 AM
Pro Rider

I would have to agree with Pam...Not just because I am a Banshee owner... A warrior against a banshee..thats been a long time dispute..but the machine were built for 2 totally different uses..under the right circumstances, the warrior might be able to keep up with the banshee..maybe in the woods...never in the open...it all depends on the rider...I have a friend with the warrior..if we trade bikes I still beat him..and he's on my banshee...so it goes back and forth

Old 11-19-1999, 11:21 PM
Trailblazer

I dont believe it would be cost effective to modify Warrior to a Banshees level! It would be alot cheaper to off the Warrior, and get a Banshee, a friend of mine learned the hard way, and expensive way, and still sold it for a Banshee.

------------------
-duneman-

1999 Banshee, 2000 Trailblazer(wife's)

Old 11-20-1999, 03:35 PM
Range Rover

Its very possible to make a Warrior that will smoke a Banshee.
Its called $$$$$.
I have a friend with a 300EX that will smoke a stock Banshee on comp. hill at Pismo.
But its highly modded.
And he throws a rod about every 2 years.
Its about $4000 everytime he rebuilds it.
You can make anything fast with enough mods.
My wolverine will smoke a stock Warrior, but I have $9500 in it.
So if you want to make a hill shooter out of it, cool.
But for trail riding keep the mods. to a minimum.
And having some mechanical know how is a must to maintain your bike after mods.

------------------
http://www.geocities.com/norcalatv

Quick Reply: Beating a banshee