Performance Mods and Project Quads Share and ask for information about modifying your ATV or building project quads.

Need tips to remove internal moisture

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-1999, 12:21 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Fellow ATV'ers,

Looking for tips to remove all evidence of internal moisture from an ATV engine. I sunk my Bayou 220 well over a year ago and thought I had removed all evidence of moisture in the oil. Needless to say, I changed the oil numerous times right after the incident and have not seen any evidence throughout the summer. I changed the oil last week and after a week-end hunting trip, once again noticed a slight milky residue on the inside of the oil filler cap and on the oil level sight glass. There was absolutely no evidence of internal moisture throughout the summer and I did not ride in any water over the weekend. Oh and yes, the oil filter has been changed numerous times as well.

The engine runs as good as the day I bought it but still I would like to know that there is not leftover moisture in the engine.

I have noticed additives to remove water from fuel systems but have never seen anything to remove it from the lubrication system.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

[This message has been edited by drlaney (edited 11-15-1999).]

Old 11-15-1999, 07:16 PM
Trailblazer

It could be the outside temp. If it was colder outside it will cause moisture to condence in the crankcase just from the motor warming up.It sounds like you did everything you could do.If it is just a trace inside the filler cap i would not worry about it.If it is colder out make sure you let it warm up good before shutdown.You might see the same thing if you pull the cap off of your car. There is no way to get around it in cooler weather.I hope you don't live in Texas or this was a big waste of time.And I am not saying this is your problem. But it does happen,GOOD LUCK.

Old 11-16-1999, 10:38 AM
Pro Rider

I would have to agree with taz250r...
You probably do not have "water" in your oil or crankcase... The oil itself can be breaking down..(I would recommend synthetic oil..It costs more but it's worth it)

I did not pay attention to whether or not your riding a liquid cooled...But a bad seal on the crankcase side can cause coolent to get into the oil..that would cause it to be milky. If thats not the case and your always riding in warm weather... A tear-down might be all thats left..if you want to be totally sure that there is no liquid in with the oil..But I'm leaning closer to the temp.
It's probably just condensation...And thats hard to deal with.
good luck

Old 11-16-1999, 11:34 AM
Pro Rider

Thanks Guys. Yes I do live in southeast Texas where the weather has been very unusual- 40's at night and 80's during the day. It was chilly (39) when I ran my Bayou that morning and quickly warmed into the 80's. I also did not run the engine that long either, probably less than 20 minutes.

Thanks again for the feedback.

Old 11-16-1999, 11:02 PM
Trailblazer

Sorry I thought It was always warm in Texas.I'm from the great state Gov.by Jesse Ventura.When I'ts -35 below we think i'ts warm. HA HA !!!!!!

------------------

Old 11-21-1999, 02:33 PM
Pro Rider

DrLaney
Yeah... As a fellow Texas...(northeast) I know exactly what you're talking about. My Polarises don't do it, but my sons Honda dirtbike and daughters Honda 110 3-wheeler do that. All engines will form condensation, the trick is, to make SURE you run the engine long enough to completely heat up ALL the oil and the engine itself. That is what burns off the condensation... Just run the enigne longer, (UNDER LOAD.. thats what helps to build heat) and it will stay clean.
It will also help to keep your exhaust system from rusting out...( same thing Condensation)
Later, Robert