Performance Mods and Project Quads Share and ask for information about modifying your ATV or building project quads.

i just don't get it

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2001 | 07:47 PM
|
Trailblazer

well, im gonna put a bigger main jet on and if that doesn't work, take it to the shop

Old 01-31-2001 | 08:08 PM
|
Trailblazer

i also have an fmf pipe on, so i have a k&n filter, boysen reeds, and reed spacer, and fmf pipe. would i be running rich or lean, the filter and pipe makes it run lean, but the reeds make it run rich, so like shouldn't be all good, and would this keep it from starting up at all. would it be that big of a deal except less power and fouled plug

Old 02-01-2001 | 04:45 PM
Trailblazer

Jacob,
Try this out http://www.boyesen.com/products/motorcycle/install.html

You probably have these instructions but they do lead you step by step for jetting your carburetor.

You need to lean your carb for three reasons.
1) The instructions say so
2) We live at a higher altitude
3) Your last spark plug reading was black soot which is an indication of running too rich. If you have a spark plug with white ash then you are running too lean and need to go up in jet size.

I am going to send you an e-mail with just my phone number. Call me around 7 o'clock tonight if you want. You'll have to listen to the answering machine as we screen our calls for tele-scammers just introduce yourself and I will pick up.

If not I hope the web site helps you.

Rodney

Old 02-01-2001 | 05:29 PM
|
Trailblazer

hey flyin4man
do you know of any other tracks around here, it sucks they jsut outlawed quads at aztec. i know there is another one over there thats really expensive and one in peublo but people said it isn't very good, i jsut moved here not too long ago so i don't know of any places to ride yet, i live on the north side of town. gettin back to the subject, i also put a fmf pipe in and a k&n air filter and those cause it to run rich, so i wasn't expecting it to run lean cuz it would balence out or something, thanks for the help everyone

Old 02-01-2001 | 07:30 PM
Trailblazer

Jacob
You have your theory backwards!! Your pipe and filter combo would make your quad run lean with no changes to the carb. Now if you just moved here from say below 3000 feet then the combo would have you fairly close to the right setting. According to Boyesen their reeds cause your engine to run rich. So that would put back to the point of having to re-jet to a smaller main. If you are have trouble throughout the throttle range then you have to go smaller on everything. Here's the skinny on your carb.
Pilot jet for idle to 1/4 throttle.
Needle for 1/4 to 3/4 throttle. The needle doesn't get changed just the clip position.
Main jet for 3/4 to wide open.

As for riding I always ride in the hills. Haven't been to Pueblo yet.

Call me if you need some more input I can talk much faster than I can type.

Old 02-05-2001 | 08:12 PM
|
Trailblazer

finally,
thanks for all the help everyone, its all back working again. i put all the stock stuff on, it worked so i knew it was the jetting so i put a bigger main on and put the aftermarket stuff on and its all good and i love it, a lot more power.
thanks again

Old 02-06-2001 | 07:55 PM
Trailblazer

Jacob,
I'm glad to hear you have your wheels rolling once again. I'm sorry for the misdiagnoses I posted previously. I thought I had it pegged for running rich after your spark plug test. Anyway, glad to hear you're up and runnig.

I'm looking into arranging a ride on the 4th of July to watch the fireworks from atop Rampart Range. E-mail me if your interested.

Rodney