Performance Mods and Project Quads Share and ask for information about modifying your ATV or building project quads.

250R idles but dies when try riding it

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2001, 10:41 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i have a '88 trx310r that isnt running quite right. it started back in december i think, i was riding in the snow and it was really cold out. i was riding on the road, everything was going good, and it was running fine. i came up on a corner and let off the gas then when i went to get back on it, it bogged out and died. i could start it up but when i would give it gas it would die. i thought maybe it was bad gas, so i took it home and pulled the fuel line off and drained the tank. it had old race gas from the summer. i drained the tank hoping to fix the bad gas problem, and maybe fix the tank if it was plugged. i also put a new plug in it, thinking maybe the old one was fouled. i also took the carb all the way off, took the bowl off, took the main jet out, and blew it out. then re-assembled it. I also cleaned the airfilter thinking it might be pretty dirty, but it wasnt too bad. i put it all back together, put new gas in it, mixed at a perfect ratio, and tried starting it. it started right up and idled fine. i could also give it a little gas. i thought that i had the problem fixed so i let it sit for a couple weeks because it was too crappy out to ride. i recently got the quad out to try and ride, got it started easily, let it idle and warm up in the drive, then i took off down the road. i got about 30ft...kind of rolling downhill in 1st gear and went to get on it and it bogged out like before. it died so i put it in neutral and started it again. it idles fine but when you give it gas it dies. i had it ideling and managed to get it in gear and rolling then reached for the choke real fast and pulled it up part way and it ran better, i was able to drive it back holding the choke half way up. anyone have any ideas what my problem is? i'd really appriciate your help.

Old 03-30-2001, 11:17 AM
Pro Rider

Is it jetted properly for cooler weather? It sounds like your pilot jet may be plugged or too small and/or needle it too low. Try adjusting your air screw in a little.
ERIC

Old 03-30-2001, 01:32 PM
Pro Rider

Pilot jet.

Old 04-01-2001, 08:16 PM
bob
Trailblazer

i think the e-clip on the needle broke

Old 04-01-2001, 11:02 PM
Trailblazer

Sounds like a electrical problem. Check your stator. Some water might of gotten in there. If you do take the flywheel off and clean it, (which it should be done once a year), if thats not the problem, check your wiring.
peace

Old 04-01-2001, 11:47 PM
Trailblazer

hehe....bob..yea, needless to say i had a very good buddy of mine come down and try and help me figure out the prob, (my buddy being bob, and we looked over everything...checked for airleaks, checked the plug and all electrical crap...decided to take the carb off to maybe rejet it and noticed the needle didnt come out w/ the slide when i pulled it out. The E-Clip broke and was just letting the needle sit in there- that would explain why it ran fine ideling. Anyways, thanx for all your guys' help and special thanx to bob..i owe ya.