Performance Mods and Project Quads Share and ask for information about modifying your ATV or building project quads.

Is there a better winch switch?

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2001, 10:35 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks in advance for any advice...
I have an ATV 2000 Superwinch winch. This particular winch comes with a very poorly designed rocker style switch which has given me alot of problems... Is anyone aware of a company that makes an after market rotary switch that I could use as a replacement? The original switch is a handlebar mount but I have mine mounted in a stationary position so the replacement switch would not need to be a handlebar mount.

Old 04-22-2001, 11:06 PM
Range Rover

I would say you need to talk to the people at Warn and see if they will sell you a switch and then wire it to work the Superwinch.
Its darn near impossible to find a switch that can handle the high amp load a winch can draw. I went to Radio Shack (don't laugh I was in a bind for a switch) and the highest amp load their switchs could take was only 30, which is about a third of what I needed.
I ended up taking the switch apart and cleaning it really well. I then coated the insides with 80 weight marine oil. It now works better then when new. It is very easy to operate now.
I emailed Superwinch about the problems I was having with the switch (I had read on this fourm that they often gave free replacments) and the people at Superwinch offered to sell me one but not give me one(I guess too many free ones were already given out since switch failure/trouble is common with the Superwinch).
Please post if you go with a Warn switch or somthing else, I am curious of the cost of the Warn switch especially.

Old 04-23-2001, 08:48 AM
Trailblazer

The Warn rotary switch is available through any Warn dealer (even some autoparts stores carry the Warn products)

Old 05-03-2001, 10:25 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks for the responses... I bought a warn rotary switch. It came to about $40 with shipping. The quality appears to be light years ahead of the original Superwinch switch.

Old 05-04-2001, 09:28 AM
Range Rover

Go to your local auto parts/farm supply store, if you have one, and they can get you a rocker switch that will handle the Superwinch for only a few bucks. I put one on mine and it worked fine. You can get one for whatever amps you want.