Performance Mods and Project Quads Share and ask for information about modifying your ATV or building project quads.

Mickey Dunlap of 4 Stroke Tech?

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2001, 11:42 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

CRHYE250R,
I can't speak for the rest of the engine builders or high performance companies. I have only been getting on this site, and a few others, to try to understand the market better and to see what people want. I have been doing a lot of soul searching after seeing my name show up here quite a bit, both good and bad. Criticism is hard to take when you try so hard to take care of everybody the best you can but it also helps me see my shortcomings and makes me strive to do better. Every high performance company I have seen on these web sites has the same problem - turnaround times. I only answer my phones 3 hours a day so I can work 8 hours a day to get work done in the shop and this has worked very good. I like to serve my customers on a personal basis that's why I do all the work. It's only my wife and I working here and we have become very organized and efficient over the past 6 months. So the answer to your question about 2-strokes is "no". I am going to do 1 thing and do it well - four stroke ATV's, utility and sport, as you will see on my website as it develops.

Old 09-16-2001, 01:05 AM
Pro Rider

mickey i have a question for you real quick if you don't mind. its about your liquid cooling kit for the 400ex. does it really work good? does it work as good as a quad that is liquid cooled from the factory? and approximatley how many of this kits have u sold/installed? and out of those have there been many problems? i'd apprecitate it if i could get some honest answers. thanx [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 09-16-2001, 12:31 PM
Pro Rider

Juggalo,
The honest answer is, it worked perfect the 1st time out and is still going. I have never taken a temperature reading on it so I don't know how cool it does run. Basically, "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" and we haven't had any problems with it. After 9 races, we tore the engine down just to check everything and it was good so we put a new set of rings in it. Mike Benson was leading the Open-A class until the last race when he broke an axle and that has dropped him back to 3rd place overall in the points right now. This is the only one we have done and it was for magazine purposes only. It was so much work, that we don't want to do any more and, besides that, it's not really necessary. We have lots of our 500's out there running right now with no problems. However, I have 3 of them in here right now that are going to aluminum sleeves and Nik-A-Siling the cylinders for more power and more longevity.

Old 09-16-2001, 01:25 PM
Pro Rider

i see.... well thank you very much [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 09-16-2001, 03:55 PM
Pro Rider

I saw that you helped Kawie with their Ninja/Mojave in dirtwheels AWHILE back, i thought you may know soemthing about this.

Old 09-17-2001, 09:46 AM
Pro Rider

Mickey ,

Do you have a web site???
I want to find out what type of mods you do??????

Old 09-17-2001, 10:18 AM
Pro Rider

wolverine, it's www.fourstroketech.com.

Old 09-17-2001, 10:30 AM
Pro Rider

Thanks

Old 09-17-2001, 03:06 PM
Pro Rider

CRHYE250R,

When I was working for Team Green and Kawsaki, which are 2 different things, Kawasaki wanted me to build them this machine. They said it was just for a "play machine" but the fact of the matter is it takes 3 years to develop a motor from the factory and they were trying to come out with a new sport machine without having to build a new motor to get it to the public quicker. I don't think you will see this machine out but you will probably see a 650 twin sport machine using the Prairie motor since they already have it in production now.

Old 09-18-2001, 01:22 AM
Pro Rider

Thanks mickey. I know i have asked alot of questions, but you have been a help.

Quick Reply: Mickey Dunlap of 4 Stroke Tech?