Performance Mods and Project Quads Share and ask for information about modifying your ATV or building project quads.

Mickey Dunlap of 4 Stroke Tech?

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2001, 12:41 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just want to say a few words about Mickey since the discussion has started here. I have done only a small amount of bussiness with FST, but each time has been a very pleasant one. Mostly I have bought parts there. I ordered some SS valves and a spring kit and some other stuff from Mickey a couple years ago for my mojave. He did not have all the parts in stock and after a week or so of his order not arriving he gave me some of the parts off of an engine project he had started on to get me going. He said his engine could wait. Later I sent him a CDI box to get the rev limiter removed and again got great service and faster turn around time then he had quoted. He is about the only engine builder out there with any performance options for a mojave and I thank him for that because I really love that little machine and it is fun to take mine out and beat 400 ex's.

He has stated that he answers to a higher power and that drives him to good morals and ethics. I was impressed one time when I called his shop near Easter and he had a recording that said he was closed for the Easter holidays and suggested that everyone go to church Sunday. It said something about the holiday celebrating the death and resurection of our Savior, Jesus Christ. Being a Christian and knowing of a relationship with Christ, I know that it is hard to mistreat someone when this relationship is strong. I have seen no reason not to believe that Mickey's relationship with the Lord is strong and that it is guiding him to a fair and honest bussiness. I have never met him in person and do not really know him personally. However, each time I have dealt with him or talked to him he has shown great character.

I know this kinda talk may not seem politically correct and may offend some on the forum, but it is the Truth of life.

Back to the atv performance issue, I plan to buy a kit from FST as soon as I can afford it and will do it with full confidence in Mickey.

Old 09-27-2001, 01:21 PM
Pro Rider

Amen Mojaveaddict. I whole heartedly agree with you. I have met Mickey and he is a wonderful person to deal with. The amount of faith in God this man has is inspiring. He is a true light. It was a real blessing to meet him and to deal with him.

Old 10-01-2001, 10:56 PM
Trailblazer

I personall am very impressed with mickey's work. I myself have custom made many parts for my bike the time it takes and thought is astounding. My work is pale in comparison to mickey's work. I remember his 500 warrior built when high performance four strokes were thought as nothing more than something to put on around the trails on the weekend. Mikckey i also have a question for you what are your thoughts on counterbalancers. The extra heat and loss of power they produce, is it out weghed by the added vibration? No dirtbike engines have these in thier makeup and i wonder if thier is a secret lying behind these items residing in our engines. Thanx

Old 10-02-2001, 04:55 PM
Pro Rider

KentuckyHillBilly,

I have experimented with taking out the counter balancer out of several models and it's not worth it! The vibration, especially at high rpm is numbing. The problem is that four wheel ATV's have very long frame tubes and it acts like a tuning fork and it sends more vibration through the frame than a motorcycle with the short frame tubes. This is why motorcycles get away with it such as the KX 250. Doug Roll has spent many hours trying to keep the KX motor from vibrating in Team Green's machine. Billy Ballance would complain that his arms would still ache 2 days after the race and my hat is off William Yokely for riding as hard as he does in the GNCC races.

Old 10-03-2001, 04:29 AM
Range Rover

Mickey

In an earlier response about the Mojave kit you said that there can be problems with the compression. I would like to have you work on my Mojave, I am gonna save up for the 330 kit. If I get the kit will the commprssion be at 13:1, what can I do to keep anything from happening to my gears. Do you still install the electric starter on the Mojave? I'm not looking to get the most power I can out of my Mojave, but I do want something to be able to run with a 400ex. Also do you know how much HP the Mojave will have after the kit is done, and a guess at the top speed it could have. Hope you can help me out.

If you ever talk to Lurch could you send him my way, it seems he really loves your work and may have some info for me about the Mojave also?

Thanks again for the help
Peace Out!

Old 10-13-2001, 09:49 PM
Weekend Warrior

I see MICKEY DUNLAP has responded to this.If you are reading this Mickey I would like an explanation.I sent you a warrior motor in Jan of 99 for a 435 cc kit upgrade.You told me 6 to 8 weeks and i paid you in full.I started calling you in April and it took me weeks to get a hold of you,you never called me back or nothing,and when i finally got a hold of you ,you said my motor was skipped over and said you will have it done in two weeks.Fom then on I called you countless times and sent you letters in the mail,some even registered mail that you signed for,just to find out what was going on,and you never could find the time to get a hold of me,dont you care how you make your customers feel?I was so frusterated with you I reported my motor stolen,and got the police involved,you remember now i bet who I am.I later got a phone call from the police in Pennsylvania and they said it is taken care of.And a few days later I got my motor back.This was in October.How come 6 too 8 weeks turned into 6 too 8 months?Why did I have to go to these extremes to get my property back?I lost a whole season of riding because of you.If you could offer me a good explanation,I will stop bad mouthing you to fellow atvers.I still find it hard to beleive you could do this too somebody.Hope you respond.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-mad.gif[/img]

Old 10-14-2001, 12:54 PM
Pro Rider

I've heard many stories like the one above myself..but they're just that, stories, even tho I trust my friends who have had similar problems.

Old 10-14-2001, 05:27 PM
Trailblazer

not sure what happened to mrhp1, but i have been using 4 stroke tech for about 5 years now with no problems.

Old 10-14-2001, 06:44 PM
Weekend Warrior

Consider yourself fortunate you didnt get treated the way i did,I just want an explanation from him on here.If its a good one maybe i will stop talking people out of doing business with him in my area,but its gonna be hard to justify his service towards me.I will be waiting.

Old 10-15-2001, 05:19 AM
Range Rover

Whenever I order custom work for my quads I expect it to take twice as long as they tell me. Most shops take that long or longer.

I have heard nothing but bad about FST since the 80's,amazing they are still in business.

Quick Reply: Mickey Dunlap of 4 Stroke Tech?