Performance Mods and Project Quads Share and ask for information about modifying your ATV or building project quads.

porting: engine builders

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2001, 02:29 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey, Most of you know that I have supported Hetrick Racing for his excellent work. Rich builds some awesome motors.
However, I am also going to start recomending another engine builder. You guys have probably never heard of him, but he does excellent work at good prices(for now), and has a very quick turn-around time(a few days). The name is Merle Kope, or "M.E.K. Racing Engines".

I have ridden quite a few of his machines over the past few months and I am very impressed. He just built a Blaster motor to run on pump fuel that was almost as fast as my 240. I am especially impressed with his sons LT80 it screams. I would say he is probably the best LT80 builder in the world. At local races it has been just smoking everyone on the straights including Hetrick's machines.

If anyone would like to contact M.E.K. the phone number is (814)432-2916 call after 5pm Eastern because he has another job in the day. Make sure to tell him that Garrett sent you. Or you could e-mail me a message and I can pass it on.

Old 09-29-2001, 10:44 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
LT80 Expert
Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

My LT-80 spanked Hettricks also. Hope your buddy's LT-80 is at FOX raceway this wekend, as i put my boys national machine (LT-80) together for a lil fun! hope to see ya [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 09-30-2001, 10:43 AM
Pro Rider

I know Rich Hetrick. He's a good friend that I have known for many years. We've kind of lost touch the last couple of years. I must say though that I ported my own engine on my 300 Xpress and Rich helped me out by telling me some of the things to cut and not to cut. With out the advice my good friend gave me I would have surely messed it up.

As for his racing, I haven't seen him race sence he was racing on a banshee. That was a few years ago. I have never seen his son race at all. I have seen his quads though. I really liked his son's TT Racer. That thing looks really cool.

I am only responding here to let you guys know that Rich Hetrick is a really good guy. He is one guy that I would always like to have on my side, not against me. I have helped him build car motors years ago and can tell you you he is definatly a professional.

Old 09-30-2001, 11:03 AM
Pro Rider

Out here on the West Coast, there are only two engine builders who can do the mini atv's properly. That would include Trinity Racing and LRD Performance. They both build a nasty LT80 and Trinity builds some of the best atv engines in teh business.

I bet your friend is running a 105 sleeve in his LT80. Although the LT has been good for years, we are getting more power and we have better suspension for the Kasea atv.