Performance Mods and Project Quads Share and ask for information about modifying your ATV or building project quads.

Sound: 2-stroke vs. 4-stroke

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2000, 10:25 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was thinking about this question tonight while watching the Supercross race on ESPN2. To me it seemed like no matter where they were on the track you could hear the KTM and Yamaha fourstrokes over the 250 2 strokes.

I also would have to say that my 400EX with Sparks exhaust has gotta to be one of the loudest bikes I have ever heard, and I have been to plenty local races. I think if you compare the best race exhausts in 4 strokes and 2 strokes. You would probably find the 4 strokes to be louder. From what I have always been told a highly modified 4 stroke is by far louder than an equally modified 2 stroke.

I do agree that the whole thing could be rather subjective in that if you find a certain noise or pitch than that is what is going to seem the loudest to you. Just, like if you dont like a certain style of music it could seem louder to you than your favorite music at the same volume.

Adam Smith
99 400EX