Performance Mods and Project Quads Share and ask for information about modifying your ATV or building project quads.

LTZ 500

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2002, 07:26 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LTZ 500

Mickey Dunlap has built a pretty stout z500 for the GNCC circuit. Now a few years ago when I was into quads pretty heavy, Mickey had a nickname of Mickey "Onelap". Apparently his engines were only good for one lap and then they blew up. Today it seems he is doing better. He has built many quads and has a real professional race team. My question is has anybody had experience with his engines. Please, no opinions or "I heard" stories, just people who have bought his stuff or know first hand because they have seen it.
Thanks
Tracy

Old 10-11-2002, 09:28 AM
Pro Rider
Default LTZ 500

Welcome to the forums Tracy.

Ok lets get some facts straight first. Onelap Dunlap comes from the basis that mickey got a little out of shape in his later racing years and could only put out one good lap before fatigue set in and he faded away. Some say thats all he needed to pull off wins, me, well I'm that way now and I can tell you I don't win but have become the king placer in racing these days, lol.

Without getting into Mickeye's personal life he just hit a low in life a few years back where he took to much on at the same time living threw a divorce. I believe thats all needs to be said about that.

Now his product: He has and delivers quality products and service. He is short, sweet and straight to the point during conversations, but at the same time delivers what you ask for. He has his own way of doing bissiness and, well I guess every one does.

I have used his products and engine kits as well as many other engine builder/designers. I find his to be just as good if not better than any other I have used. I currently run one of his 330 kits and after 16 races and countless practicing I tore it down just to find out it was in excellent shape.

Now where you get all this friend, brother, and friend of friend stuff is easy to see if you ever done alot of work on engines. Where the problem lies that get poeple hopped up is, well just what they ask for. If you call mickeye or any one for that matter and say "I want a national race ready, fastest ever Z400". Well thats what you get. With these types of engines the life exspectency is not very long. So poeple get them, they run faster than you would ever think. But 2 to 18 months down the road it lets loose on you and BANG, there she goes. The first thing every one starts haulering is the engine builder screwwed it up. Well I ride with most poeple like you and me and every one else, and frankly, 9 times out of 10 they deserved what they got.

Now you contact any of the engine builder and ask them for a hot RECREATIONAL engine more than likely you will get a hot motor combination that will run for years. This is where the mistakes are always made. You want a motor like tim Farr but want it to last 5 years. There is no such motor and no such builder who offers one.

I'm not Mickeyes buddy or the head of his fan club, but I know enough of him and his product to drop a good note for him. One other thing any one who has ever dealt with mickeye will tell you about him, he knows what he's talking about. You call or e-mail him he's not the type to talk world piece with you. But he will give you exact diagnosis and share case hystories with you about certain machines.

Also any one who builds GNCC motors has to be dedicated to reliability. So when the rest of friends of friends drop by and bash me with all there blown motor stories, take it with a grain of salt. E-mail mickeye and see for your self how you feel about him.

If you don't like him give Harry a call at Trinity. Or call Allen at CT. For a novice builder I always reccomend Pam at Powroll.

Old 10-11-2002, 11:50 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default LTZ 500

Gaff
Thanks for the detailed information, that was exactly what I wanted. I am an Engineer by trade and I love facts and details[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]. I have had engines by TC racing and Curtis Sparks and my buddy had a Powroll engine all of which ran very well.
I respect the fact that you kept his personal bio short, that shows class on your part. Too many times these forums get into personal situations, name calling and belittling that I just don't want to know about.
I have been following his name through several of the magazines and pay particular attention to stories that feature his products. Anybody that has such a professional team that he has assembled has to be doing something right. As I said before I am into details and by looking at his quads so is he. These quads are very well built. I have built or rebuilt all my quads, just to be sure they are right.

I am not a pro rider, never have been(got the scars to prove it) and never will be, but I do like to have a strong quad. And it is nice to pull up beside some smart *** and waste him in a drag race. I used to do that with my 250RX. 300EX engine built very radical by TC Racing. 2 strokes laughed at it until I beat modified 250r's, Banshee's and even my friends Quadzilla. It was also a National Caliber MXer as proven by Ben Jackson since it was one of his 4 strokes, just not in my hands. I had fun with it for a while, but then I realized that it could get me into trouble easier than it could get me out of trouble. So I sold it and now I'm ready to get back into it on a more leisurely basis. I plan to mx a little and do more cross country stuff. I think this 500 kit should do the trick. I'll pay attention to the rider in the standings and see how he does.
Thanks for the feed back and good luck with the racing.
Tracy

Old 10-11-2002, 04:16 PM
Pro Rider
Default LTZ 500

I understand your concerns of modding the motor and what you want out of it. I pick up we are probably in the same time frames of life so I have a good understanding on what your looking for.

The Z/KFX is most likely going to be my choice of quad next as well. I enjoy XC the most but do alot of MX lately. Realy just doing some racing while at the races with my son. The Z/KFX do concern me as a woods racer thow. I have not ridden one yet, but I have read just about every owner report about them.

The direct refference to it not having the bottom end of the EX400 and having a exsplosive mid to top end does concern me. I always felt the smooth delivery of the EX power off the bottom to the mid was the key to it's success. But a quad with less bottom end would have to be kept in the rev alot more. This concerns me on the basis that woods racing can be tite and technical. Having bottom end is the name of the game. A exsplosive or powerfull top end does not appeal to me as far as woods racing goes.

I read the article about the Z500 and it looks pretty good to me. I also read about yoshimura's 450 kit wich looked good as well. The yoshy kit seemed to pricey for me. I also seen a trend of Trinity focus more on the drag/dune side of riding, wich doesn't solve the bottom end delemma.

So how would I go about getting some bottom end. I would rule out a smaller counter sprocket, that whould make short revs and quirky handling. I think I would see what powroll would offer before deciding just yet. But I like the way mickey didn't mess with the compression to much. I like the re-configured stroker crank. I like the port and flow work with probably a GNCC grind cam.

I'm pretty sure I would go with one of mickey's kits, but I would also see what pam and crowd will offer over at powroll.

Me personally I'll be running the lakota for a while longer but you, email mickey and powroll and tell them about what your looking for and you will get your answer pretty quick.

Old 10-11-2002, 06:10 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default LTZ 500

Gaff,
I would agree that were in the same time frame. I don't want nor do I have time for a quad that is built on the edge that I have to tweak every weekend just to ride. I have too many other things going on. I don't mind modifying and putting on accessories, I just don't want to have to fix it just to go out and enjoy it. My wife and I both have sports cars that I modify and sometimes it's fun just to go out and play without always working on stuff.
That's just another perk of riding a 4 stroke. Put in gas,check the oil, lube the chain and go regardless of the temperature.
I was also concerned about the lack of the bottom end, that's why I will definately get a kit of some kind. I like to be able grunt the thing through the tight stuff. I'm not into revving to the sun and slipping the clutch just to be able to go fast in the corners. That wears an old man like me out(36)...hahaha.
I agree with leaving the compression some what alone and using a stroker crank and topping it off with a ported head. It's common knowledge among hot rodders that some of your biggest gains come in head and flow work. Make an engine breath better and the horsepower will come easily without straining the engine.
I won't be getting my new quad until probably Dec or Jan. That'll give me enough time to see how the different kits work out and give the manufacturers time to test and perfect their stuff.
I'm really looking forward to getting it. I'm going to use it as a workout tool since I have gotten out of shape. I plan on riding it as much as I can and I think that will encourage me also to hit the gym again.
Good talking to ya.
Tracy

Old 10-11-2002, 06:39 PM
Range Rover
Default LTZ 500

Hey Gaff, Dont be overly concerned with the Z400s "lack of low end", its power is very smooth [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]. I was riding a Lakota before I got the Z and I know why you like it for woods. Well, you can just about crawl the Z thru tight areas and rocks also. The lack of low end is just guys comparing it to a Raptor. The throttle response of the Z is awesome and it handles like a dream. I am much faster in the woods on my Z than I ever was on the Lakota.

Old 10-11-2002, 10:36 PM
Pro Rider
Default LTZ 500

quadZZuki,

I wasn't trying to compare it to the lakota, but I was concerned with the bottom end. I absolutely love the lakota for woods riding and as you have it's just something that needs to be ridden to appretiate.
I have done a few EX's over the past couple years and the one thing that did catch my attention was riding the stock or near stock ones. I realy enjoyed the almost effortless hook up. It takes very little RPM to hook up on the EX. Not that I think the EX is all that but from the off idle to half throttle is what makes me like that quad. Now doing a bore kit to a EX does tremendoes gains for it.

In reading the characteristics of the Z owners expressions and feelings for the quad re-inforced my original balief while just seeing the bore and stroke of the machine. I do believe it will be a awsome step up for me but I still have a deep love for that little 12:1 330 kit I have. Nothing like that slow instantaniess tourque.

As I said I have never ridden one yet and just want one for the suspention and to get a lighter machine. If it had junk for a motor I would still want one.

Tracy,

I have my quad for the same reason you now want one (40). It does ware you down pretty hard and forces you to get into some type of shape, got me back in the gym. I also have 3 of my 4 kids that ride and/or race with me on the week ends. So after all these years it realy has become fun again.
One other thing, my wife sold my bike and bought the quad for me because her and others say it fits the age. It realy does fit the age so join the club, lol. They are not as quick to get you in trouble like the bikes are. Nor are they agile and limber like a bike. So you don't try so many hair brane things rite from jump street, lol.

Old 10-12-2002, 01:30 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default LTZ 500

Gaff
Yeah I'm working to get back into the club[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] I just took my wife up to the cycle shop and bought her some boots and socks so she will feel more comfortable when riding. I'll probably get her the rest of the outfit for Christmas. She's really stoked about riding in the dirt. I'll make sure she is good and hooked and then maybe she'll surprise me with a new quad under the tree...hahaha. I tried my step son on a small dirt bike, but he didn't like it. Maybe a quad will be better, we'll have to see.
Yeah I think at this point in my life, I'll look at that double jump a little more cautiously, versus just going for it. Of course you know that's how we all start out, but when were racing and that guy in front is right there for the passing.....................Hmmmm how can I get by. Then suddenly your hitting jumps harder and going deeper into the corners.....Damn adrenaline or is it the testosterone[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]. Oh well makes for some fun times.

Old 10-12-2002, 02:22 PM
Pro Rider
Default LTZ 500

If I could suggest, go to www.rockymountainatv.com........They have the best prices. Some of the gear you have to call for best pricing but you will figure that out.

I know ever so well about the doubles and running deep into the corners. Best thing I found about quad racing is the field thins out real quick. You have more one on one compared to bikes where you have a fore and aft pack.

How olds your step son? Bikes have been easier for me to get them started on but my daughters liked the quads better, where my son still likes the bikes better.

Old 10-13-2002, 02:41 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default LTZ 500

Gaff
Back when I did race it almost always seemed that I was racing 1 or 2 people only. I was always somewhere in the middle. I enjoyed catchinh people and passing them, but that only happened when I had my old quad. Stock 250x with a pipe, so you know I was beat off the line. Then it was fun playing catch up. I did some killer passes. Later when I had my 250RX, I was always 1or 2 off the line and into the first couple of corners. Then the good guys were able to pass me and I was able to hold off guys that were probably better than me because my quad was so good. So actually I had a little less fun.
I remember Rocky Mountain as I have bought from those guys before. Actually most of the non engine parts on my 300EX came from those guys. They always had good prices and good delivery times.

My step son is almost 10. I think he didn't like the fact of having to shift gears on the motorcycle and having to work the throttle and clutch and both brakes kind of overwhelmed him. If he gets scared of something he doesn't want to do it, so after a few rides he didn't want the bike anymore. So I think a quad will be a little easier for him to master.
I have to say I am so pumped up right now to get a new quad, it's all I talk about. My wife will probably get me one just to shut me up....hahaha. She says I am obsessed, she's probably right. It's just like I remember. It'll be better now since she has something to ride too. We'll be able to go out together, even in the winter. Of course it's a lot better to be riding a quad in the snow than a bike. That's where I will really sink the hook in her. Riding a quad in a few inches of snow is a blast. What a cool way to spend a winter day. Although I can't wait until we move to Florida and not have to deal with winter. 21/2 years and counting, as soon as my step daughter graduates high school. WOOHOO!!!

Tracy