Performance Mods and Project Quads Share and ask for information about modifying your ATV or building project quads.

stator went bad when i messed with the timing plate

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2000, 02:03 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

well here is the problem, i advanced the timing again and i noticed the stator was kinda bad looking(rust and other crap built up on it)
so i had to use an impact tool to get it loose. i put it back with no problems and the bolts and screws didnt even strip but when i ran it after i turned the lights on and they didnt work, back nor front. is it possible that a lighting wire may have come loose when i usedthe impact wrench? if so would i just be able to re-attatch the wires or do i need a new stator? if so, which stator should i get and how much? i dont want to do anything to it now because it RUNS good and the races r saturday and i just wont have lights and u dont need lights then so...i would just take the lights off for less drag and weight but i use them during rides in the dunes so i have to worry about this...would high output stators give me more power, increase in anything besides light output? or should i just get my stock onbe rewound?

Old 04-22-2000, 12:04 AM
Pro Rider

n e one know?

Old 04-22-2000, 12:15 PM
Pro Rider

I've had the same problem before on my R. I had just done a complete rebuild, done the break-in around the house here. Take off for the dunes, get there about 8:30, decide we want to go for a quick rip, and hmmmm.....no lights.

So I went anyways.....but got back and took the cover off, took the flywheel off again, and found that indeed a wire had been rubbed and shorted by the flywheel. I carry a butane solder iron so I just resoldered the wire and repaired the bare section with some tape. Worked fine.

A new stator from the dealer is OBSCENE!!! For a '86 thru '89 250R, it's $486!!!!!!!!!!!! Nearly the same for a Banshee. Had a riding partner break a lightened flywheel that took out the stator, and we nearly had to do CPR on him when he found out how much. I have had Rickey Stator do some work for me and on both occasions was VERY pleased. He turned a stator around in a day for me, you know the "ummm, I'm going riding this weekend, would it be possible to have it back..." So if you need your stator worked on I reccommend them. I think that they have a website rickeystator.com