Performance Mods and Project Quads Share and ask for information about modifying your ATV or building project quads.

Cleaning Spark plugs: Is it a waist of time?

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2000, 09:40 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If I was able to CLEAN my NGK B8ES spark plugs to their original condition, would they operate as good as new? Other than a plug getting dirty (carbon buildup) from use, does it "die out" with use?

HarborFreight.com has this pneumatic spark plug cleaner half price for $7.99, and it looks like it has some abrasive material to blast it clean using compressed air.

Old 04-26-2000, 11:33 AM
Trailblazer

becareful cleaning those plugs the cleaner uses a glassbead and it is very hard to get all the glass out of the spark plug but when you put it in and run it the glass bead will come out in you engine. Granted it is a small amount but is it worth it for the $2.00 a B8ES plug cost's

Old 04-26-2000, 02:24 PM
Pro Rider

I would really like to know what actually happens to a plug when it "fouls" by somebody who knows what they are talking about.

Old 04-26-2000, 02:43 PM
Trailblazer

Plugs do wear out over time, but most of the time (in a 2-stroke) they get oil-fouled (and most people replace them). You can, however, clean 95% of oil-fouled plugs easily-but not by using a glass bead blaster. I improvised a jig, using 2 bricks and a propane torch (availible at any hardware store or walmart), laying the plug on top of the bricks where the electrode was in the direct flame of the torch. I heated it for about 15 minutes, or until the electrode was a dull red color. It removed ALL the oil fouling (burnt it off), and believe it or not the plug ran as a new one! This will work until the plug finally wears out from age (or motor damage). This works MUCH better than abrasive cleaning-it's cleaner, cheaper, and easier. Just be careful with the propane torch, and be mindful that the plug will be VERY hot for about 30 minutes, I always clamp the plug in vise grips and cool it off under water for a few seconds.
It beats the heck out of me payin $5 for a new B8EGV NGK.

Greg Coats
Petal, MS
'87 LT250R
'00 Rancher ES 2X4

Old 04-27-2000, 12:53 PM
Pro Rider

try starting ether and a wire brush, just don't breath deep!!!!!

Old 04-27-2000, 02:51 PM
Trailblazer

86Qracer, you say that you've been cleaning your plugs and reusing them until they finally wear out from old age or damage. What is concidered old age? If one season is concidered riding once per weekend from March till September. How many seasons could you reuse the plugs? Whats the difference between the B8ES and B8EGV?

Thanks

Old 04-27-2000, 05:34 PM
Pro Rider

The B8ES is only $1.60, the B8EGV is about $4.00. The B8EGV has a much smaller/skinnier electrode. Some people say the EGV works better in their quad
(lasts longer without fouling and runs better)I have not noticed any difference so I spend $1.60 on the ES.

Old 04-27-2000, 05:44 PM
Trailblazer

As far as age- when the corners are worn off of the insulator, and the edges of the electrode become rounded, it's probably time for a new one. I use EGV because it fouled less than ES plugs do, or at least in my quad. I am using different oil now (a less fouling synthetic-H1R) so next time I have to buy one I'm going to retry a ES plug.
Cleaning them as I mentioned, I usually replace the plug after a top-end job, which is about once a year on my LT. Yes, I know I should probably do it sooner, but it works out to only 8 or so months of riding (due to winter), and it mostly gets ridden only on weekends. I alays keep the old one for a spare (because it probably would run for a long time), but haven't needed one yet.

Greg Coats
Petal, MS
'87 LT250R
'00 Rancher ES 2X4

Old 04-02-2001, 12:07 PM
Pro Rider

I have never ever cleaned a plug. If it needs to be cleaned it needs to be replaced. Nothing runs like a "NEW" plug. A cleaned plug is not as good as a new one.

Old 04-02-2001, 03:39 PM
Range Rover

You can never clean a oil-fouled plug (from a two-stroke) The porcelain tip is porous and the oil will penetrate it like water on a sponge.

What 86Qracer does is probably the closest you can get to "cleaning" the fouling off but it will not fully evaporate all of the oil in the porcelain. Good idea though, 86.

Adjust your carb & mixture, don't use too much oil on your filter and don't idle for long periods. That's the best way you keep from fouling plugs

Quick Reply: Cleaning Spark plugs: Is it a waist of time?