Polaris Ask an Expert! In fond memory of Old Polaris Tech. An area where experts in their field will answer non-general questions about your Polaris ATV.
"old polaris tech" and other experts will answer your questions as they have time.
ASK ALL GENERAL QUESTIONS OR BASIC QUESTIONS IN THE POLARIS FORUM.
Basic or General questions posted in a expert section will be moved!

2006 Sportsman 500 X2 no spark

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2011, 08:38 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 2006 Sportsman 500 X2 no spark

Hi, i have a Sportsman 500 X2 that has no spark. I've done all the tests from ohm testing the coil,new stator,coil and module which i just did today. By the flow chart in the polaris manual everything was good. I have power to the coil, but nothing from the module that is supposed to collaspe the coil field to make it spark. I have an rpm reading on the cluster during cranking telling me it sees the pick-up coil. I even switched the entire wiring harness from a running machine!!!! Does anyone have any inside polaris knowledge? Thank You for looking!!!!

Old 06-28-2011, 09:10 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

When you swapped the harness from a running machine did you use your ecm module or try to use the other one?? As I'm understanding you said you replaced the stator, coil and ecm module?? If you have done this the ecm will have to be programmed on Digital Wrench or it won't work! OPT

Old 06-28-2011, 10:04 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default No spark

Hi, I did not have it programmed. will it have to be programmed on the atv? If the ecm is replaced on any Polaris dos t need to be programmed? Can i get the tool to do this or does the dealer have to?

Old 06-28-2011, 10:10 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Re

Is it a specific programming for each AtV or just each model? I am an auto tech so i understand now what is goig on. I'm just suprised the dealer never said anything. They had it for a month and could not figure it out. They told me it must be something in the wiring. Thank you so much for your help!!!

Old 06-28-2011, 10:54 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

YES,each ecm has to be programmed using Polaris Digital Wrench software which ONLY authorized dealers have! SORRY! To give you an example,I and another tech had a "problem child" Sportsman 500 efi. It was sputtering,backfiring only occasionally and we did the usual "checks",No codes on the speedo OR on the Digital Wrench. We thought after replacing the t-bap harness kit,even replacing the t-bap module and grommet,and checking from the crank sensor on up that we had it finally narrowed down to the ecm as being faulty! We had a "brand new" demo and since the owners machine was the same year model,we swapped ecms,hooked it back up to the computer and programmed it to this machine. On the programing part of this the vin# is requested with the 5 digit "dealer code" and and an "authorization code" is given (series of about 8 letters and numbers),this info is fed into the programming and takes about 5 minutes for it to "recognize" the atv. After all was said and done,STILL had the same problem!We kept checking and finally found as we lifted the crank sensor harness there was ONE strand of wire,barely visible that had worn through the harness and was intermittently touching the back of the starter! We again installed the customers ecm and had to reprogram as it didn't recognize it! SAME for the "demo",had to reprogram it also "back" to this machine! Ecms are NOT like a cdi on carb models that you can "swap" around to check out! Hope this long post helps,PLUS I forgot again, Welcome to the forum!! OPT

Old 06-29-2011, 09:54 AM
Weekend Warrior

Thank You so much for all your help!!!!!! I knew after all these years of working at a dealership on trucks, double and triple checking everything that it had to be something Polaris.... Thats how they get you back into dealerships. Not any different in the automotive industry.... Again, Thank You!!!

Old 07-04-2011, 10:43 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default no spark

Thank you again for your help!!! I had to drive 2 hours to a
polaris shop that would do the programming, but it worked.... Thank you OPT!!!!!!

Old 07-04-2011, 12:12 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Glad you got it going! OPT

Old 03-25-2015, 10:23 PM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by old polaris tech
When you swapped the harness from a running machine did you use your ecm module or try to use the other one?? As I'm understanding you said you replaced the stator, coil and ecm module?? If you have done this the ecm will have to be programmed on Digital Wrench or it won't work! OPT
I have the same problem I just havn't replaced the ecm does the ecm have be reprogammed with a new stator?

Old 03-26-2015, 01:00 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Originally Posted by 2004 sportsman700EFI
I have the same problem I just havn't replaced the ecm does the ecm have be reprogammed with a new stator?
Not with just the stator change the ecm(or ecu as I call it) shouldn't have to be reflashed.