Polaris Ask an Expert! In fond memory of Old Polaris Tech. An area where experts in their field will answer non-general questions about your Polaris ATV.
"old polaris tech" and other experts will answer your questions as they have time.
ASK ALL GENERAL QUESTIONS OR BASIC QUESTIONS IN THE POLARIS FORUM.
Basic or General questions posted in a expert section will be moved!

Polaris Sportsman 400 overheats

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2011, 09:26 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Polaris Sportsman 400 overheats

My inlaws' Sprtsman 400 is overheating. I've eliminated the fan and fan switch as culprits, and the radiator is clean. It appears that the coolant isn't circulating when I run it with the cap off.

Is it possible that it's the thermostat, or is it pretty much a given that the water pump is bad?

If the thermostat is a possibility can I remove it and drop it in a pan of boiling water to see if it opens like you can a car thermostat?

Last question, if it's the water pump is this a job I should tackle myself in the backyard? I've done pretty much all the repairs on my own vehicles for 25 years but have never messed with an ATV. If it were mine I'd tear into just for the experience, but I don't want to start on this one unless I know I'm going to be able to finish it up in a day.

Couple of other things, we haven't noticed any leaking from the weep hole, and I've always though it ran a little warm so this could have been a progressive problem.

Any advice is greatly appreciated!

Old 08-15-2011, 11:02 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

You can test the stat in boiling water. Mine also looked like the water was not flowing when looking down the rad filler hole.

Turned out the cooling system had a coolant air lock. I had to burp the system.

All I did was fill the rad slowly while the motor was running and shake the ATV at the same time,the coolant did a burp and then it was flowing normally again.

You know you have a air lock if the top rad hose is hard and hot while the bottom rad hose is soft and cooler. Both hoses should be hard and hot if the coolant is flowing OK.

Is this the older 2 stroke 400 sportsman or the 4 stroke 400 Sportsman?

Old 08-15-2011, 11:41 AM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by TLC
Is this the older 2 stroke 400 sportsman or the 4 stroke 400 Sportsman?
It's a 4-stroke.

Thanks for the reply!

Old 08-15-2011, 04:40 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 34 Likes on 34 Posts

What year model?? If a 2005 model and hasn't had the ecm recall done or even if it has ,could be an ecm problem or the thermal sensor if there is no coolant loss?? OPT

Old 08-15-2011, 04:59 PM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by old polaris tech
What year model?? If a 2005 model and hasn't had the ecm recall done or even if it has ,could be an ecm problem or the thermal sensor if there is no coolant loss?? OPT
I don't know the year, sorry. I'm confident that it's a circulation issue rather than an electrical issue, though, because when the engine is hot enough to boil over the radiator is still cool to the touch. The coolant sensor circuit will close when dropped in a pan of boiling water, but the coolant in the radiator just doesn't get anywhere near hot enough to close it. I've confirmed this with a continuity tester.

Old 08-15-2011, 06:13 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 34 Likes on 34 Posts

Then I would leave the radiator cap off as suggested to eliminate any air pockets,also rarely happens,but impellers have spun on the shaft and I've even had the impeller fins melted limiting flow(usually if coolant got real low).I've only replaced a couple thermostats over the years,but you can test it out as you mentioned,But I would still check if its under the recall.The ecm can do some crazy things.Plus have you checked that the radiator itself is clean especially around the back? OPT