Polaris Ask an Expert! In fond memory of Old Polaris Tech. An area where experts in their field will answer non-general questions about your Polaris ATV.
"old polaris tech" and other experts will answer your questions as they have time.
ASK ALL GENERAL QUESTIONS OR BASIC QUESTIONS IN THE POLARIS FORUM.
Basic or General questions posted in a expert section will be moved!

425 Magnum four wheel drive issue

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2011, 02:40 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 425 Magnum four wheel drive issue

Hello to all fellow Polaris people! I couldn't find my old profile so I made another one, its been a little while since I have posted on here.

Ok, we have a Polaris 425 Magnum that runs strong when it runs and still looks great after many years of hard work. When you push the 4 wheel drive button, it works for a little while until you encounter some deep snow or something that requires more power. It seems like the front right axle doesn't want to go, throws the chain off by the right foot plate and knocks the 4 wheel drive out. Not a good thing when you're plowing snow

I'm guessing its the front right axle but could be wrong. Noticed when you back the machine up in 4 wheel drive sometimes it turns hard to one side.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Old 09-07-2011, 04:14 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 34 Likes on 34 Posts

Probably need to adjust the center chain plus check the middle eccentric housing for bearing wear especially if the center chain keeps jumping off! Plus when the center chain is adjusted it affects the front chain slack. If you haven't serviced the hub fluid in a while,might be time to check em out! Plus sounds like an armature plate is sticking in the hub( Replace both plates as the other side almost always starts sticking a little later!) OPT

Old 09-07-2011, 05:41 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I will try that! Thanks! Do you think thats whats causing the chain to jump or is it the axle? I dont want to dump too much money into it just because its used as a work horse, nothing else.

Thanks

Old 09-07-2011, 05:54 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 34 Likes on 34 Posts

Either way too much chain slack and needs adjustment,a worn chain(you can flex chain from side to side ) plus check the bearings on the center tightener. All of these can affect the chain jumping off! OPT