Polaris Ask an Expert! In fond memory of Old Polaris Tech. An area where experts in their field will answer non-general questions about your Polaris ATV.
"old polaris tech" and other experts will answer your questions as they have time.
ASK ALL GENERAL QUESTIONS OR BASIC QUESTIONS IN THE POLARIS FORUM.
Basic or General questions posted in a expert section will be moved!

magnum 325 cant find low gear

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2011, 08:56 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default magnum 325 cant find low gear

i have a 2002 magnum 325 4x4. cant put it into low gear. worked fine last winter. h, n, & r work fine. tried putting a little force to it and it went into it a bit then couldnt get it back to nuetral and lost high and reverse also. disconnected the lingage from the shifter and the shifter is working fine. removed the air box to access the linkage on top of the trans and put some force on low gear to get it out. now i have my h,n, & r back. used pliers to try to manually turn the gear. it wouldnt budge. any suggestions?

Old 10-12-2011, 09:28 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 36 Likes on 36 Posts

Welcome to the forum. Most of the time the problem is the shift box(main reason straight line shifters replaced them) If you can't seem to unlock the shift lever on the transmission,just use a pair of vice grips on the shift lever(belcrank) and tap with a hammer! Sounds crude but works! When you have the atv in neutral,place the shift box in neutral.Loosen the 10mm lock nuts on the front linkage arms and turn the linkage ends to where they fall straight in the shift box slide levers with NO resistance,then tighten the lock nuts. If you continue to have problems,then usually shift box replacement will solve this! I've replaced a bunch of them! You can usually tell when the shift box is worn when the linkage arms are off and in neutral there is a good deal of slack forward and back on the lever.A new box is stiff and very little free play! I've had em stuck in gear when brought in,usually stuck in reverse or low. Some after adjustment will be ok,others not,just depends on how worn the box is.(Think I've answered this a dozen times or more and is a common problem) Hope this helps! OPT

Old 10-12-2011, 09:44 AM
Weekend Warrior

Welcome to the forum. Most of the time the problem is the shift box(main reason straight line shifters replaced them) If you can't seem to unlock the shift lever on the transmission,just use a pair of vice grips on the shift lever(belcrank) and tap with a hammer! Sounds crude but works! When you have the atv in neutral,place the shift box in neutral.Loosen the 10mm lock nuts on the front linkage arms and turn the linkage ends to where they fall straight in the shift box slide levers with NO resistance,then tighten the lock nuts. If you continue to have problems,then usually shift box replacement will solve this! I've replaced a bunch of them! You can usually tell when the shift box is worn when the linkage arms are off and in neutral there is a good deal of slack forward and back on the lever.A new box is stiff and very little free play! I've had em stuck in gear when brought in,usually stuck in reverse or low. Some after adjustment will be ok,others not,just depends on how worn the box is.(Think I've answered this a dozen times or more and is a common problem) Hope this helps! OPT

Thanks, ill try this out.

Old 10-13-2011, 09:10 AM
Weekend Warrior

i removed the linkage and got the atv set now where i have h, n, and r. the low gear is very hard to move. i can tap it with a hammer to get it into and out of gear. sounds like to me its in the shift box. i guess i am gonna need a manual now. is there any free downloads for a repair manual?

Old 10-13-2011, 11:50 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 36 Likes on 36 Posts

1341271 is the part number for the shifter assembly ($216 at Cycle Parts Warehouse) You can see if its worth rebuilding,BUT the slides alone are 50 bucks each,plus other parts in the shift box that are probably worn would almost total up for the price of a new box! I've done this before and you almost have to replace everything to get it to operate right! As far as replacing the box you don't need a manual,just a simple take off and bolt a new one in! You can look up Parstshark or Mediafire and manuals are pretty cheap online. Other members may have a free manual or a site to download one if you need it! OPT