Polaris Ask an Expert! In fond memory of Old Polaris Tech. An area where experts in their field will answer non-general questions about your Polaris ATV.
"old polaris tech" and other experts will answer your questions as they have time.
ASK ALL GENERAL QUESTIONS OR BASIC QUESTIONS IN THE POLARIS FORUM.
Basic or General questions posted in a expert section will be moved!

My 1990 Polaris keeps shutting down!

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2012, 08:22 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My 1990 Polaris keeps shutting down!

Yeah i just got 1990 250 2x4 polaris and ir runs good except now after i ride it 10 mins and open it up just at normal speed it keeps wanting to shut down,and soon as it does i then can restart it just for it to do it again. Can Anybody Help please?

Old 01-09-2012, 08:43 PM
Trailblazer

i would try cleaning the carb out, might not be getting a good flow of fuel, hope this helps

Old 01-09-2012, 08:47 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 34 Likes on 34 Posts

First off check the vent tube coming from the carb to make sure it hasn't touched the exhaust and melted it! Could be causing a "vapor lock" condition starving for air and shutting down until it gets another "gulp" of air? Also check that the fuel line leading to the carb is open and filter isn't stopping up fuel flow(just pull line off of carb) If all this is ok then could be trash in the carb. Also if you access to a compression gauge,not a bad idea to see if compression is at least 100 psi,any lower could be the problem. Keep us updated. OPT

Old 01-09-2012, 08:55 PM
Weekend Warrior

ok can i ask if i had a a crack in the top of my gas tank would that maybe causing a problem? cause it runs really good at low speed but open it up runs great for a few mins then bogs down refs up boggs down dies. no matter how much i pump gas. Let me know what you think? P.s does two stroke take any oil other than the 2 cycle oil?

Old 01-09-2012, 09:01 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Crack in the tank, or cap? Sounds like starving for air or trash sucking up in the carb main jet? Explain a little more on the "crack" Just 2 stroke injector oil in the oil tank, any TCW3 rated oil is ok. This lubricates the engine! OPT

Old 01-09-2012, 09:10 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default crack on side of gas tank !

Yeah the crack is on upper part of gas tank it leaks out thats how bad plus was under impression the oil mixer doesnt work so pre mix gas is what im doing So do i still need to put oil in front is it getting to hot and shutting off maybe, plus the air getting in my tank easily?

Old 01-09-2012, 09:15 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

If your tank is cracked air wouldn't be the problem as far as starving for air,but have you still checked the carb vent tube? Plus with a cracked tank you could be water contaminated in the tank and carb and the bogging may be from water at the bottom of the carb bowl! It would run good at idle,BUT when giving throttle it would suck up water from the bottom of carb bowl causing it to bogg down! Dangerous to ride with fuel spilling out!!! Tank either needs to be repaired if you can or replaced! You can pull the small oil injector line at the base of the cylinder and if it's wet with oil then the pump is working!OPT

Old 01-09-2012, 09:23 PM
Weekend Warrior

well it not only runs good but when i open it up it runs great for like 5 - 10 mins wide open and when it a does bogg down and dies you wait maybe 30 secs it will start up run great refs good evry thing also right before it starts to shut it self off i hear a noise, almost like a small pop underneath than it starts starving>? So what about the oil do i still need oil in front resvoir even with the gas pre mixed?

Old 01-09-2012, 09:37 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

You don't need the oil tank if you're premixing,BUT you do need to remove the oil line at the cylinder and block the fitting off to keep from sucking air causing a lean condition. Think you just need to start from the tank down and check everything out! Check for water in tank and carb,vent lines,compression,etc. OPT

Old 01-11-2012, 07:29 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Was having breathing issues!

Well did like you said cleaned carb wasnt really to bad. i blocked off oil pump since not using but it still wanted to shut down! Then all of a sudden i couldnt get the start button to work thought i losed all power so then i took off breather ect.. and when i did get it to turn over finalley ( guess my switch maybe going bad) i left the breather off and what do you know no more problems shutting down. looked at the breather didnt seem to bad but guess enough its not getting enough air?

Quick Reply: My 1990 Polaris keeps shutting down!