Polaris Ask an Expert! In fond memory of Old Polaris Tech. An area where experts in their field will answer non-general questions about your Polaris ATV.
"old polaris tech" and other experts will answer your questions as they have time.
ASK ALL GENERAL QUESTIONS OR BASIC QUESTIONS IN THE POLARIS FORUM.
Basic or General questions posted in a expert section will be moved!

Electric Start Issues Please Help!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2012, 01:17 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Electric Start Issues Please Help!!

So Im posting on here because hopefully I can get some much needed help. I have posts on polarisatvforum.com but not getting many replies. I have a 2000 xplorer 400 4x4 I just bought. Electric start wont do anything. The ignition is like a car ignition where you turn it all the way to start and theres a yellow button on left handlebar switch that says reverse/override. Im wondering if this is the correct setup because on other Polaris's Ive owned the start button is where the yellow button is and I didnt start it with the key... So when I turn key to start position, I get no power to starter solenoid. When I disconnected that wire and ran a wire directly from battery, I got the solenoid to click (just a little). Ive also tried using a screwdriver to jump the terminals on the solenoid but nothing happens. Please someone with some technical knowledge give me a hand in getting this elctrical issue sorted out. I really need to get this solved asap. Thanks in advance

Old 01-23-2012, 01:44 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 34 Likes on 34 Posts

Welcome to the forum! If you can jump the starter solenoid and just clicks,sounds like you may have a starter problem.The yellow button on the left switch is just the reverse over ride button to allow full power in reverse,plus you say there is no power to solenoid wire with the key on? Also could have an ignition switch problem?Sounds like you need to ohm out switch,replace if necessary,then go from there on rest of checkout. OPT

Old 01-23-2012, 01:52 PM
Weekend Warrior

When I jumped the two main terminals
On solenoid nothing happened. When I disconnected the other small wire on solenoid and directly put 12 Volts to it, the solenoid would click just a little. Is there a ground on the starter itself I can check? As far as the ignition goes, how would I test that. Thanks so much for your help OPT

Old 01-23-2012, 02:33 PM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

you have to have the key turned on when jumping the solenid(2 big cables on the each side) to see if the starter works. if you still are getting a clicking sound, then chances are the starter it self is the issue. either froze up or maybe bad brushes. not sure on that model(or what year they changes it) but does your have the red on and off switch(right handle bar also known as a kill switch) thst pushes in to actually start the bike or is it the key switch it self? either way when you turn the key or push the start button it gives power down that small wire to the solenoid that activates it causing the solenoid to send power to the starter. hope that helps a little.

Old 01-23-2012, 02:43 PM
Weekend Warrior

I only
Get a clicking sound when I run a wire
Directly from battery (positive) to small red wire on solenoid. I'm not getting power to that red wire when I turn the key. I don't have a push start button on my model. When I jump the terminals absolutely nothing happens. So I guess I have two issues please correct me
If I'm wrong. Starter needs rebuilt or replace, and figure out why I'm not getting power to solenoid when turning key...

Old 01-23-2012, 04:25 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

That's why I said to ohm out the ignition switch first(could be bad,NOT supplying voltage to small wire at solenoid when on!) Plus you can jump across solenoid with key on or off and starter should kick in,if NOT,then you probably have a starter problem also! OPT

Old 01-23-2012, 05:29 PM
Weekend Warrior

Okay so when I go to ohm the ignition what exactly am I looking for. Which pins should have continuity? I can do this tonight if I know what I'm looking for
Thanks. I definately don't want to get a new one if the problem isn't the ignition so I want to make sure I'm checking it correctly

Trending Topics

Old 01-23-2012, 06:15 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Should be a red and red/black wire plus a black and brown I believe in the switch connector?. Make sure the the ohm meter shows open and closed on the red and red/black wires for sure when you turn the key on and off. PLUS check that you have 12 volts going to the switch first! If you do then it's a pretty good bet the switch is bad or you may have a short somewhere in the harness. PS forgot to ask in the first post,are you getting power to the pod,lights,etc?? If not then there is a sealed circuit breaker forward of the solenoid that could be cutting power to the pod,switch, lights etc? If so,then slit the pouch and see if connections on the square circuit breaker are corroded or just not sending 12 volts across. OPT

Old 01-23-2012, 07:46 PM
Weekend Warrior

Ive split that pouch and the breaker is good. I checked to see if i was getting 12 volts to ignition earlier today and i was. I just read that I have to push up on red on/off switch to start my atv, never would have guessed that. My battery is shot but when I did this, I did hear a very faint noise coming from solenoid when I released that on/off switch(letting it come down). So does this mean my ignition is good and now I just need to replace or rebuild starter? Ive tried tapping starter but nothing. Is there a ground for the starter I can check or just the positive running from solenoid? If you think its the starter what are your suggestions, rebuild, replace, buy used and what prices should I be expecting for each. Thanks a lot OPT your really helping me out here

Old 01-23-2012, 07:47 PM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by stendori
you have to have the key turned on when jumping the solenid(2 big cables on the each side) to see if the starter works. if you still are getting a clicking sound, then chances are the starter it self is the issue. either froze up or maybe bad brushes. not sure on that model(or what year they changes it) but does your have the red on and off switch(right handle bar also known as a kill switch) thst pushes in to actually start the bike or is it the key switch it self? either way when you turn the key or push the start button it gives power down that small wire to the solenoid that activates it causing the solenoid to send power to the starter. hope that helps a little.
Thanks a lot! had no idea I had to push up on the red switch. Really appreciate it!

Quick Reply: Electric Start Issues Please Help!!