Polaris Ask an Expert! In fond memory of Old Polaris Tech. An area where experts in their field will answer non-general questions about your Polaris ATV.
"old polaris tech" and other experts will answer your questions as they have time.
ASK ALL GENERAL QUESTIONS OR BASIC QUESTIONS IN THE POLARIS FORUM.
Basic or General questions posted in a expert section will be moved!

2006 Sportsman 800 Leaky Crankcase - Mag Side

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2012, 11:10 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2006 Sportsman 800 Leaky Crankcase - Mag Side

After inspecting underneath the crankcase it seems there is a leak in the front mag side. Would it be the water pump cover seal? I removed the mag cover and found a trace of oil inside. Does this mean the oil seal is going or is it normal? Trying to decide if I should take the mag crankcase cover off and replace seals????

Old 04-14-2012, 12:02 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Clean the area around the water pump cover and underneath. Crank it up and shine a flashlight all around to see if coolant or oil is coming from the weep hole underneath the water pump cover or it's just the cover o-ring gasket leaking. If it's either the water pump seal or oil seal both have to be replaced along with a new water pump cover o-ring. BEST to remove the flywheel,move the stator out of the way so you can pull the cover! Then you can pull the oil seal from the back side and knock out the water pump seal. Don't try to do as some have done and pry the seals out to save a couple steps as you can bend the water pump/oil pump shaft and have to split the engine to replace it!!! I've done several of these that were brought in this way where the owners bent the shaft! Plus when you replace the coolant you have to leave the radiator cap off to bleed any trapped air. A manual's worth a thousand words on this one to give you a better picture of what to do! OPT

Old 04-15-2012, 04:27 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The problem was the water pump seal, I pulled of the housing like you said and it was easy to replace all the seals. Thank you, but I have two more question. Should I put RTV sealant on both sides of the new housing gasket or leave it dry? Also the manual shows a crankshaft tool to protect the seal when I install the housing, do I need to use it or can I install the housing without? Thanks for all the help!!!

Old 04-15-2012, 05:27 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Use RTV sealant (Three Bond is one of the better case sealants) The "tools" are just a tapered plastic sleeve that fits over the crank shaft end and also a metal tapered sleeve for the water pump shaft so you don't damage the seals,BUT if you are CAREFUL when lowering the case back on the crank and water pump shafts it's not necessary to use them. OPT