Polaris Ask an Expert! In fond memory of Old Polaris Tech. An area where experts in their field will answer non-general questions about your Polaris ATV.
"old polaris tech" and other experts will answer your questions as they have time.
ASK ALL GENERAL QUESTIONS OR BASIC QUESTIONS IN THE POLARIS FORUM.
Basic or General questions posted in a expert section will be moved!

Electrical problem on 06 sportsman 800

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2013, 01:35 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Electrical problem on 06 sportsman 800

I have had some issues installing this relay for the "3 head light mod". After i got everything wired up, i turned my 06 sportman 800 on, turned on low beams, they worked fine, then turned on high beams, my fourwheeler turns off and i hear a sizzling noise coming from somewhere, i THINK from the switch. the 5 amp fuse busted. i replaced it (and all 4 fuses, just because) but now the only thing on my atv that works is the low beams. the blue light for high beams comes on but no actual head lights come on. bike wont start, speedo doesnt turn on. i think i've fried something but i dont know what or where.

i think i might've had a wire hooked up wrong, which is now fixed (dam red/green color blindness), but it's probably too late. any suggestions? how can i figure out what's fried? i'm obviously not an electrical engineer or anything close to one. So I don't know where to start trouble shooting past what I've already done. And I don't know how to use a volt meter very well, or the terminology involved. So layman's terms please. Thanks for any and all help/tips.

Old 08-22-2013, 08:25 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Start under the headlight pod and work your way down to the fuse panel on checking for bare/burnt wires.Make sure the fuse block wires are secure and not grounding out. You can unscrew the block to check the underneath connections.Outside of replacing the entire wiring harness,you have to take it one wire at a time when something like this happens.

Old 08-22-2013, 05:27 PM
Weekend Warrior

So you're saying it's most likely a wire that needs to be replaced than anything electronic like the gauge cluster or computer chip?

Old 08-22-2013, 05:35 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

When you posted you heard "sizzling" noises that doesn't sound too good. Burnt wiring is the first thing I'd look for. No computer chips,just a big control module if it's affected. Just retrace your steps on the wiring that you did and the surrounding wires along with the harness wires leading into the speedo.

Old 08-22-2013, 07:56 PM
Weekend Warrior

So I'm thinking I'm going to start at the place where I think I heard the sizzling, the headlight switch. Any suggestions for taking it apart? Seems like its going to be a pain to get it apart. What's the likelihood I fried the big control module? And how do I check?

Old 08-23-2013, 03:08 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Check the two connectors and wiring coming from the switch down into the pod area first and again down to the fuse block. There are a few small parts in the left control switch that can pop out,easy to lose.

Old 08-23-2013, 03:35 AM
Weekend Warrior

Ok I will do that this evening. Are there any other fuses/relays/breakers that I could've busted? Other than the 4 in the front storage compartment, as I have already replaced those.

Side question I replaced one of the fuses that said "6A" on it with a 5 amp fuse because advanced auto parts didnt carry the 6 amp one. And the forums seemed to all say 5 is ok.

Old 08-23-2013, 03:39 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

This is the main fuse area. 5 amp fuse is ok to use. Don't overlook the fuse block itself as a source of the problem also. Vibration,etc can cause loose connections under the block.

Old 08-23-2013, 03:44 AM
Weekend Warrior

I thought that was the "fuse block", where the 4 fuses are in the storage area...so where exactly is the fuse block?

Old 08-23-2013, 03:56 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Yes this plastic block where the fuses are. Make sure you have power to all the fuses. The wiring into this area have given us problem in the past at the shop.Just trying to eliminate any problem area.Dirt Cheap Yamaha, Honda, Arctic Cat & Polaris OEM Parts & Accessories – Cycle Parts Warehouse

Quick Reply: Electrical problem on 06 sportsman 800