Polaris Ask an Expert! In fond memory of Old Polaris Tech. An area where experts in their field will answer non-general questions about your Polaris ATV.
"old polaris tech" and other experts will answer your questions as they have time.
ASK ALL GENERAL QUESTIONS OR BASIC QUESTIONS IN THE POLARIS FORUM.
Basic or General questions posted in a expert section will be moved!

2002 500 Sportsman belt alignment

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2014, 07:52 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I ordered a new cup and bearing last night. Will post back when installed, taking the clutch apart is easier now since I have done it numerous times...

Thanks
Mike

Old 08-06-2014, 05:25 PM
Weekend Warrior

Got my clutch back together with the new cup or spacer as Polaris calls it. Worked like new. I also got the bearing the cup rides in so I need to take it apart and have it pressed in. Hopefully it will be the end of the problem for a long time.

I need to ask about the amount of grease or any at all that goes in the EBS bearing itself. It does have the roller bearings and I put a small amount in when I first reassembled it.

I did not replace the shims with steel, the shim that was in there was steel and it was very badly worn. It also ate the inside of the cup. I used the original type Brass one and will see how it wears.

Mike

Old 08-07-2014, 06:54 AM
Trailblazer

I was told that you should use a light grease on the EBS roller bearings , then wipe off the excess. They usually last fairly well if they are greased a few times.
The brass washer seems to wear quickly so just be aware of that and you may have to take it apart again and change it. I went with steel washers and a new ptfe washer in mine, works great. Good to hear you clutch is working well!

Old 08-07-2014, 11:13 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Food for thought,but if Polaris had installed a roller type bearing in the cup who knows how long this would have lasted? Brass washer was just to take the brunt of the wear instead of the face of the one way,but should have been a little thicker/stronger imo.Steel washers I know will wear down the one way eventually,but it's still a lot better than having it creep and hard to shift.

Old 08-07-2014, 03:46 PM
Weekend Warrior

All is put back together works Great. Had the bearing replaced that the spacer / cup rides in. I have extra Brass washers and will check on yearly.

Can't Thank You enough for the input and assistance that was given to me in getting this done.

Mike

Old 08-07-2014, 04:00 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Glad you and Kevcules have them running good now after what you two have been through. This whole thread would be a good "sticky"imo for people with one way bearing/creeping problems.The tools needed for servicing the clutch and one way bearing and ones that can be home made also,along with the parts involved. At least I think I'm gonna book mark it,because I'll forget everything tomorrow..

Old 08-07-2014, 05:57 PM
Trailblazer

Originally Posted by old polaris tech
Glad you and Kevcules have them running good now after what you two have been through. This whole thread would be a good "sticky"imo for people with one way bearing/creeping problems.The tools needed for servicing the clutch and one way bearing and ones that can be home made also,along with the parts involved. At least I think I'm gonna book mark it,because I'll forget everything tomorrow..
Hahaha! OPT......i think you're still pretty sharp remembering ALL the information you provide! Don't worry, I'm 46 in a few days and I already have lots of little notes around the house on what I want to do during the week!