Polaris Ask an Expert! In fond memory of Old Polaris Tech. An area where experts in their field will answer non-general questions about your Polaris ATV.
"old polaris tech" and other experts will answer your questions as they have time.
ASK ALL GENERAL QUESTIONS OR BASIC QUESTIONS IN THE POLARIS FORUM.
Basic or General questions posted in a expert section will be moved!

Polaris Xplorer 500 4x4 Issue

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2014, 03:15 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Polaris Xplorer 500 4x4 Issue

Hey OPT. I recently bought a 1997 (only year they made them I think?) Polaris Xplorer 500 4x4. Ive been doing some work on it to fix some small issues it had, headlights, front right CV boot, both rear wheel bearings, and some cosmetics.

My problem is that something is binding somewhere. When I bought the machine, the suspension in the back was as low as it would go, which put very little to no angle on the U-Joints. It seemed to run smooth this way, but the ATV was funny looking because of the rear squat, and it had lost most of its ground clearance. So, I adjusted the shocks all the way up since im a heavy guy anyway. It sits level now, but when I ride it, it lurches badly, especially under light acceleration. If I accelerate hard, it kind of pulls through the binding and isn't too noticeable, and if I get going 30mph or so and pull it into neutral, it coasts down very smoothly which is what has me confused. I can also put me and some weight on the back like another person, which squats it down more and then it runs smooth as butter again. Seems like if it were axles it would bind while it was slowing down as well, but it doesn't. This model has the U-Joint rear axles, but they are in great shape, not loose or tight, and I have greased everything as well.

I really think it has to be in the axles, but am really at a loss since the shafts and u-joints feel good. Is there a certain orientation something needs to be at back there? The inner U-Joints are perfectly lined up with each other (flexing the same way at the same time), but I haven't really looked at the outers. Was thinking of pulling the shafts apart in the middle and orienting them differently to see if it made a difference.

I hadnt replaced the wheel bearings yet in the pictures. I thought that might help me issue, but no such luck. Anyway, I was hoping maybe you had some experience with this issue, any help is greatly appreciated!

Attached Thumbnails Polaris Xplorer 500 4x4 Issue-15.jpg   Polaris Xplorer 500 4x4 Issue-19.jpg   Polaris Xplorer 500 4x4 Issue-21.jpg  
Old 10-11-2014, 05:21 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 34 Likes on 34 Posts

Not a good idea to pull it out of gear even into neutral as it's moving. Straight cut gears ,not a synchromesh transmission. Had the same complaint on the u-joints,plus one thing some people overlook if they ever change u-joints is to make sure both side yokes,u-joints are installed at the same position with yokes aligned the same way(position) as the other side drive shaft yoke. Can throw them slightly out of balance with each other if you don't. To double check for any u-joint play,jack up the rear end and grab each wheel. Turn one wheel one way,the other side the opposite way. If there is any play you will notice. 97 Explorer was basically a Sportsman 500 as far as parts.

Old 10-11-2014, 05:49 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I actually just figured it out. I had decided I was going to Align the driveshaft yokes on each axle since they were 90* apart and the other ones I looked at were inline. In the process of pulling the left side axle out of the slip yoke to re-clock the shaft, I noticed the slip yoke was stuck. I would have sworn I greased it, but I cant even find a grease fitting on that shaft. The other side has a grease fitting. Regardless, I got it yanked out and sliding freely, and now I have no more problems with the lunging. Shes smooth now . I guess with the suspension all the way up, the shaft has to slide in and out enough to compensate for the u-joints when rotating that it was slightly binding. With the suspension squatted down, the joints were inline so the slip yoke didn't have to move at all.

Thanks for your help, and also for the advice of not pulling it into neutral. Never thought that would be an issue, but I don't need any transmission problems, so ill make sure that's not one of my test procedures anymore. haha

Old 10-11-2014, 07:58 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 34 Likes on 34 Posts

Glad it was a simple fix..