Polaris Ask an Expert! In fond memory of Old Polaris Tech. An area where experts in their field will answer non-general questions about your Polaris ATV.
"old polaris tech" and other experts will answer your questions as they have time.
ASK ALL GENERAL QUESTIONS OR BASIC QUESTIONS IN THE POLARIS FORUM.
Basic or General questions posted in a expert section will be moved!

1994 Polaris 300 4x4 Oil Pump / Carb lines

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2014, 04:03 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1994 Polaris 300 4x4 Oil Pump / Carb lines

Sorry for the blurry pictures, long post and I hope I can explain this correctly.

I don’t know what the PO was doing. The gas that was in the tank appears to be premixed but the oil injector line was connected, although it doesn’t seem to me that it was connected correctly. I can’t seem to find any diagrams for the correct line connections.

I’m trying to determine the correct connections for A, B, C & D.
A – nothing was connected here when I got the atv but you can tell that something used to be connected here..
B - nothing was connected here when I got the atv but I found a vent line from the transmission that looks like it would connect here.
(Both A & B appear to be atmospheric vents as they just go to an opening in the upper body that opens to the air space of the fuel bowl)

C – one of the two oil injection tubing was connected here. This seems to be correct because I have no other injector fitting in the intake or cylinder intake port.
D – the other oil injection tube was connected here. This doesn’t seem correct to me. It seems this should be a fuel overflow vent as this is connected to a vertical brass tube in the fuel bowl that has its opening slightly above where the fuel level would be.

The oil injection line leaving the pump goes to a “T” with lines connected to C & D. Is there supposed to be a “T” in this line? (D connection doesn’t seem right)

What I think (and I could easily be wrong)
A – vent line connected to “T” of overflow (D) and check valve which is missing.
B – vent line connection for transmission atmosphere vent.
C – oil injection line from oil pump.
D – overflow line with a “T” connection to A and a drain line with a check valve hanging down.

Any help here will be greatly appreciated. I'm only guessing at this point.

Old 11-18-2014, 04:53 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

First off forget about the "T" as most fall off sooner or later and confuse everyone as to where hoses go. Just run a separate line from A and B,zip tie them to either the throttle cable or choke cable and terminate them under the tank a little. These are just atmospheric vents. Correct on C as this is the oil induction port from the pump.Run a single line from D which is the combination fuel bowl drain/overflow tube. Let it extend beyond the bash plate so there's no mess on the engine or frame if the carb leaks. I've done this on countless machines as I hated these blame "T's"!!

Old 11-18-2014, 07:17 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks OPT, that makes good sense.

Also, what would be a good premix ratio for this. I don't know for sure if the oil pump is working and I'd rather start it with a premix until I can test to see if the pump is working.

Many thanks for all your help!

Old 11-19-2014, 11:38 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

I'd premix 50-1 on the first tank to be on the safe side. Will smoke a little more than usual depending on whether it's the higher dollar synthetic "smokeless" oil or not,but any good TCW3 rated oil will do such as Quick Silver,Pennzoil,even Wally World oil. The synthetic oil does smoke a little less.It won't hurt while it's running at an idle, to pull the line at the carb,lift the pump arm all the way up. This "tricks" the pump into pumping wide open. If the pump is ok,you'll see oil dribbling from the line.