Polaris Ask an Expert! In fond memory of Old Polaris Tech. An area where experts in their field will answer non-general questions about your Polaris ATV.
"old polaris tech" and other experts will answer your questions as they have time.
ASK ALL GENERAL QUESTIONS OR BASIC QUESTIONS IN THE POLARIS FORUM.
Basic or General questions posted in a expert section will be moved!

2001 sportsman 500 ho runs rough

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2016, 06:09 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by old polaris tech
Ok then go through the tests that I mentioned on the switches.Plus make sure on the 1/8" slack on the thumb lever and idle adjustment.
I got the idle right now. It runs thanks to you man thanks a lot for all the help I would a never figured that out. I'll test the ignition switch and left handle also

Old 10-27-2016, 07:00 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

At least part of it's working right.Keep us updated at to what you find. Plus you can use a simple meter to check continuity on the ignition switch and on/off switch left control switch wiring.

Old 10-27-2016, 08:47 PM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by old polaris tech
At least part of it's working right.Keep us updated at to what you find. Plus you can use a simple meter to check continuity on the ignition switch and on/off switch left control switch wiring.
Ok I will test it maybe this weekend or so. I will defiantly keep yall posted on what I find that completely fixes it because I know I've been searching for months on how to fix the problem but never could find anything, glad I'm in the right direction now but defiantly glad to get to ride it for the first time. Thank you for all the help, Ida thrown it away soon if I wouldn't of found ya haha thanks again

Old 02-28-2019, 01:49 PM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by skittero
Hi guys , new to forum and do appreciate all the useful information on here !

my problem is , i just installed a new stator and regulator into my 2001 polaris sportsman 500 ho and now its running very ruff .. it bogs at idle and will not rev it just bogs out and dies .. it smells like fuel ..

i thought it was the pulsar coil gap but i do have it set to 0.025 and ive tryed several diffrent positions
my stator was fried.. the wires were all exposed and basiclly black , is it possible my cdi is done aswell?.. im after any suggestions thanks for reading
its your cps crank positioning sensor.. 100 bucks.

Old 02-28-2019, 02:03 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default just been through it....

Originally Posted by Fireteck123
Well we bought it a couple months ago not running, just been sitting up for years and tried cranking it well it fired right up but it was like it was halfway running, just piping and choking and completely unresponsive to throttle we replaced the spark plug and ordered a new carb offline. We put it on and it's still doing the same thing. Not sure what to do next. We replaced the carb, spark plug, fuel pump, fuel filter, and fuel lines. Still doing the same. It will also backfire through the carb sometimes
i redid the ignition, plugs, wires, everything... turns out it was the CPS crank positioning sensor... 100 bucks.. you can put a new one in under 5 mins.
​​​​​​

Old 03-01-2019, 12:39 AM
THE BERMINATOR
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael Diefenbeck
its your cps crank positioning sensor.. 100 bucks.
Since his last post in this thread was 06-23-2015, I think he either figured it out by now, or he gave up on it.