Polaris Ask an Expert! In fond memory of Old Polaris Tech. An area where experts in their field will answer non-general questions about your Polaris ATV.
"old polaris tech" and other experts will answer your questions as they have time.
ASK ALL GENERAL QUESTIONS OR BASIC QUESTIONS IN THE POLARIS FORUM.
Basic or General questions posted in a expert section will be moved!

predator 500 wont start! help!

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2015, 10:20 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Alright so webcams does not have any timing change, its the same as stock. All the valve clearances are the same except valve lash so everything im doing is right. I just compression tested again and i have over 80psi now after resetting to stock timing and there is no back fire or cough back at all. I checked my woodruff key and its fine. Timing is fine. Compression is fine. Valves are fine. Fuel is fine. But still no start! Im almost about to guess and throw a new damn spark plug in it and just see what happens...i noticed today that unless i ground out the plug at the tip that there is no spark. And the tip of the spark plug obviously doesnt touch anything. I tried just grounding out the threads to the frame and no spark at all. Possible bad spark plug or bad ground somewhere?

Old 08-08-2015, 10:21 PM
Weekend Warrior

Alright so webcams does not have any timing change, its the same as stock. All the valve clearances are the same except valve lash so everything im doing is right. I just c6ompression tested again and i have over 80psi now after resetting to stock timing and there is no back fire or cough back at all. I checked my woodruff key and its fine. Timing is fine. Compression is fine. Valves are fine. Fuel is fine. But still no start! Im almost about to guess and throw a new damn spark plug in it and just see what happens...i noticed today that unless i ground out the plug at the tip that there is no spark. And the tip of the spark plug obviously doesnt touch anything. I tried just grounding out the threads to the frame and no spark at all. Possible bad spark plug or bad ground somewhere?

Old 08-08-2015, 11:11 PM
Weekend Warrior

Sorry about all the post my computer is actin up

Old 08-09-2015, 08:30 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Your first post mentioned a bright blue spark. Now it's different. Think I'd check the stator resistance specs and trouble shooting guide as you've addressed everything there is about the cams,cam timing,compression,etc.

Old 06-28-2018, 04:49 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default 500 polaris predator

I have a 500 polaris predator was running fine then all of a sudden it just cranks I have spark fresh fuel an cleaned carb.. checked the timing chain an it's all nice an tight still cams are good... I'm not sure about the compression, would the rings cause it not to start an it sometimes with back fire

Old 09-27-2020, 11:47 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Predator start up issue ???

I also had issue similar engine was rebuilt new at a shop everything Redone I put everything back together myself had spark everything idk if you have stock carburetor or aftermarket or anything like that but shouldn’t have anything to do with why mine wouldn’t start but I had to get new fuel pump because I added few things on to fu l line and radiator lines all that just temp gauges filters etc and for some reason aftermarket predator fuel pump was set up a lil different hoses that hooked up to it I put in same exact place as I detached and detached to new one and I ended up having to switch them around for whatever reason they made it different from moose and it’s exact replica too but also if air got in lines like mine I had to use siphon pump and hook it to line connected to pump vaccuum pump fuel from tank through lines to kinda get air out of lines and get the fuel comming through so it it got to carburetor with ease I mean it’s smallest issue but it had me confused for a good hour because I couldn’t think of any reason why it wouldn’t start but turned out was just fuel delivery issue if it’s turning over and your just getting a back fire which usually happens first time u try to kick over a bike or start one after u have unplugged fuel line and plugged it back in and there’s air in the line then would start as soon as it pumped the air through because air was sucked out replaced by gas but I’d check fuel system make sure nothing plugged up has good flow if not that then I’m not sure could be carburetor which they sell simple rebuild kits for and personally the edelbrock 3197 carburetor is pretty badass on the predator I personally took it off use jetted stock carb because of the reliability but with the edelbrock u need push pull twist throttle and it rips. Still few on eBay here and there

Old 10-18-2020, 03:50 PM
Default Hey hank can we communicate cause I having save problems and I'm new to this..

if you are willing to talk. My number is 605fivefourfive1798 please it would mean alot