Polaris Ask an Expert! In fond memory of Old Polaris Tech. An area where experts in their field will answer non-general questions about your Polaris ATV.
"old polaris tech" and other experts will answer your questions as they have time.
ASK ALL GENERAL QUESTIONS OR BASIC QUESTIONS IN THE POLARIS FORUM.
Basic or General questions posted in a expert section will be moved!

Need Polaris Help

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2015 | 07:47 PM
|
Weekend Warrior
Default Still Stumped and a bit poorer

I have changed the Stator, voltage regulator, battery...all to no avail, still the same issue, machine wont shut off with battery hooked up with either the key or the kill switch. IF I run this machine with the battery disconnected, it will shut off normally with both swithes! When battery is unhooked it operates normally with the exception of the lights getting too much voltage and burning out....which was the same problem I started with. Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

Old 11-02-2015 | 08:35 PM
|
Weekend Warrior
Default Polaris headache

Im also looking at the board all the wires connect into and finding some things that seem strange. All the terminals are color labeled....Im seeing a ground (brown) hooked into a yellow red labeled port as well as a black and white hooked into a yellow red labeled port??? Is this possibly the issue? Are all these connections labeled so every colored wire should hook into the corresponding color terminal?? If so I have an issue.

Old 11-03-2015 | 12:26 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Originally Posted by bpkislia
Are all these connections labeled so every colored wire should hook into the corresponding color terminal?? If so I have an issue.
Yes the terminals are color coded for the wires.If sorting out the wiring doesn't help, don't over look the left control switch itself or its wiring as it sends power to the ignition switch but it also can short out internally because of moisture and corrosion.

Old 11-03-2015 | 09:18 AM
|
Weekend Warrior
Default The light at the end of the tunnel?

Thanks OPT, without your help this thing would be sitting in my garage til the next rummage sale. I found 4 wires that were plugged into the incorrect spots on the board, the last owner must have tried to fix the lighting problem and misplaced the wires. I put in correct position, it fired right up and the lights are working properly. The dash lights for Neutral and Reverse are burned out, and Im a bit confused on what the override function is? Im sure changing those bulbs is fairly straight forward. Thanks again...you are the Polaris Master!

Old 11-03-2015 | 09:22 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

These little bulbs are expensive on ebay.Polaris Sportsman 400 4x4 1994 1995 1996 1997 Indicator Dash Bulb 4030042 | eBay You can take one and see if you can match it up at an auto store. Yes wires out of place on the terminal board can cause all sorts of headaches.. The over ride gives it full power in reverse when you push the button in and allows awd operation. Just unplug the black wire from the reverse limiter module on the terminal board and you can bypass having to push the over ride button to have full power in reverse.

Old 11-03-2015 | 05:13 PM
|
Weekend Warrior
Default Polaris satisfaction

Thanks again! I took it for a nice ride today, everything worked well, lots of pep. One last question though, the rear chain guard on the bottom of chain sets into a half moon type slot, should this be tight so that it cannot move, or is it supposed to be able to move around in that slot, it's loose now and causing some slight noise. Thanks!!!

Old 11-04-2015 | 05:02 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Bolt and nut holding the guard should be fairly snug,but the guard needs to be able move.