Polaris Ask an Expert! In fond memory of Old Polaris Tech. An area where experts in their field will answer non-general questions about your Polaris ATV.
"old polaris tech" and other experts will answer your questions as they have time.
ASK ALL GENERAL QUESTIONS OR BASIC QUESTIONS IN THE POLARIS FORUM.
Basic or General questions posted in a expert section will be moved!

Best affordable atv for 1 acre horse property

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2015, 11:15 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best affordable atv for 1 acre horse property

I'm looking for advice on purchasing a used atv to maintain horse property. I need it mostly for moving sand and gravel to grade yard and if possible keep the weeds down. Also can you use a snow plow for moving and grading dirt and gravel or do you need a special plow? There is a 2002 Polaris magnum 330 2x4 for sale, would this be possible for this type of use? I've never used an atv, but I hear they can be used like a mini tractor. I plan on ordering loads of gravel and sand so I need to move it around as nd even it out. Any suggestions would be appreciated. I am on a budget, so can't really afford a new or big atv. Thanks again.

Old 11-11-2015, 06:16 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

We sold plenty of the 325/330 Magnums to farmers and ranchers. A 4x4 might be more practical,but not worth turning down a 2x4 if the price is right and the machine is in good shape. Main problem we had was owners overlooking the grease point on the rear prop shaft going to the rear differential which in time would cause coupler splines to strip. "IF" it's a 330 Magnum it has to be at least a 2003 model. 2002 still was the 325,but both still share the same same features. It's the rear coupler grease fitting on part #16 of this break down.Dirt Cheap Yamaha, Polaris, Suzuki & Kawasaki OEM Parts & Accessories – Cycle Parts Warehouse We've had farmers load the racks up with hay bales,tools and supplies to some even using them for hauling, grading. Not as comfortable with that straight axle as a Sportsman 500 with irs but again if the price is right and if it's in good shape it might suit your purpose. I'd definitely get a service manual for routine service and any repairs needed. Here's a good 5 buck manual.2003 Polaris Magnum 330 Service Manual PDF Download

Old 11-11-2015, 08:45 AM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

I wouldn't use a 2wd for plowing. Please correct me if I'm wrong. Does the Magnum 2x4 have a low range available. If so, it will do most of what you want to do. I've come to appreciate the 4wd for plowing, towing, and tough trails. It's amazing how something as simple as wet grass on an incline will stop a quad when towing. 4wd gives you that extra traction. Were it me, I'd also look at a Polaris Sportsman 500 or a Suzuki, Yamaha, or Honda. Older Hondas had a limited slip front. Not as good as a full locker in front but not as bad as a 2wd.

Old 11-11-2015, 12:07 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Magnum 330 does have a low range.

Old 11-11-2015, 01:27 PM
Moto Psycho
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I would look for a 500 class 4x4 as it has better traction and more torque for heavy work. When I bought one of my snow plows it was advertised as being good for plowing dirt but the larger size of the same brand was supposed to be for snow only.

Old 11-14-2015, 03:37 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks for all the advice, the Polaris didn't pan out, but still looking. Hopefully I can find a reasonable price. Thanks again!

Old 11-15-2015, 01:25 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Sportsman 400 or 500 don't cost much more than a 2wd Trail Boss. Something like a Yamaha Kodiak 450 4x4 would be good too and can be had for around $2500, at least around here. I just saw one while looking on craigslist for $1500 in good mechanical shape, that is quite a deal 450 Yamaha kodiak 4x4. For work a quad with a high/low range cvt would be best and 4x4 is nice to have when you need extra traction.

Old 11-15-2015, 09:42 AM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks Greg, I've been looking on Craigslist daily, but there's not a lot of utility ATVs, mostly sport models in CA unless you're looking to buy new or spend a lot. They seem like such a great idea to maintain horse property, but I guess they haven't caught on around here yet.

Old 11-15-2015, 11:47 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I live in Southern Illinois here, not too far from St Louis. A lot of utility quads here around St Louis, Southeastern Missouri, Southern Indiana, and Kentucky as well. Quite a few sport quads here too, some really good deals on those if I had wanted one but I'm not fond of manual clutches, chain drive and no ground clearance. Lots of dunes out in CA, that's probably why a lot of sport quads for sale. Most people around here buy quads for trail riding and put them to work, 4x4 utility quads are quite abundant around here. And probably cost much less here too. Our friends up north in Canada tend to spend more money on used quads as well. Ebay is another option but I would only consider local sellers. That way you can actually go look at the quad before you buy it.