Polaris Ask an Expert! In fond memory of Old Polaris Tech. An area where experts in their field will answer non-general questions about your Polaris ATV.
"old polaris tech" and other experts will answer your questions as they have time.
ASK ALL GENERAL QUESTIONS OR BASIC QUESTIONS IN THE POLARIS FORUM.
Basic or General questions posted in a expert section will be moved!

Predator 90 rear wheel wobble

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2016 | 06:28 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Some of these after market kits use this under the bottom compression ring. Supposed to keep the ring from sicking,but to me not needed.. Here's some one that had the same thing."I received a piston and ring kit for my 50cc 2 stroke and it also had one of the wavy rings. I contacted the supplier (autotech 355) and they told me that it goes in the bottom ring grove before the standard type compression ring . They said that it increases the tension on that ring to improve compression. I used the wavy ring and so far everything is fine." OR so he said..

Old 03-22-2016 | 06:31 PM
|
Trailblazer

Ok so i went and looked, and i guess if its aftermarket the bike has had a rebuild done prior. I found that ring. sticking out of the exhaust "header" if you will. Guess i should skip that on install?

Old 03-22-2016 | 06:33 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

My two cents worth yes,chunk it..

Old 03-22-2016 | 06:37 PM
|
Trailblazer

Ok thanks. If youre ever in south florida i owe you a beer! So far have hubs coming, new reeds, top end kit so it should be a totally different bike! Ohhhh... There was no exhasut gasket but cheap cycle parts shows one in the parts diagram. Should i grab one or is it not needed?

Old 03-23-2016 | 07:12 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Get a new one.The old ones usually get flattened and can leak..

Old 03-26-2016 | 09:46 AM
|
Trailblazer

Ok so the top end showed up today and i plan on assembling tonight. Quick question, the service manual says to run 50:1 in the tank on rebuild, however since i am not using the oil injection should i just run 36:1 even on the first tank or would you suggest a different mix?

Old 03-26-2016 | 10:13 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

50:1 is what we premixed all the first tanks of new machines,youth and full size straight out of the crate. This was to assist the oil pumps in piston and rings breaking in in case of possible air pockets in oil pumps. If you're bypassing the pump, with good oil,36:1 is the most I'd go with these low compression 2 strokes. In comparison, 32:1 is what most of our Ktm racers went with with no major problems. Any major brand 2 stroke premix oil is ok.Just try to stay with one brand as some don't mix well with other brands or so some have said. Spectro,Silkolene,Amsoil,Maxima,Belray,etc. Some people even swear by Super tech oil from Walmart. Choice is yours.

Old 03-26-2016 | 10:59 AM
|
Trailblazer

Already picked up some of the Polaris VES two stroke oil, what mix would you suggest? Or should i get something different?

Old 03-26-2016 | 11:23 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Sled oil but plenty of people have used it in other type machines plus description says it's good for all 2 stroke engine applications. I'd still premix 36:1.We didn't stock any of it down here for obvious reasons.

Old 03-26-2016 | 11:41 AM
|
Trailblazer

I was kinda shoccked they have sled oil in south FLORIDA myself. lol OK 36:1 it is. let ya know how it goes. thanks for the help!!

Quick Reply: Predator 90 rear wheel wobble